Allure (Meg Thee Stallion)

"Nah, low key, I'm getting tired of online shopping," JT said. "I need to see and feel the shit in person."

"But if you buy from the same store over and over you know what the shit feel like," Caresha replied.

"Yeah, but it ain't nothing for me to take my ass to the store and see what they got."

"True."

"So y'all coming with me to the store?" JT asked, glancing at me and Caresha.

"Which store?" I asked back.

"Macy's," she replied.

"Oh, we feeling bougie today, huh?" Caresha said.

"You damn right, Symere is taking me to his grandma's cotillion."

"A what?" I leaned forward.

JT smiled expectantly. "A cotillion. It's a ball. Well, a dance. His grandma gets tickets."

"Look at you, going to balls and shit," Caresha praised. "Symere might be a keeper."

I frowned and unlocked my phone, mindlessly going through notifications. When I came across a certain name from one of my text threads, I knew I had my excuse for not going to Macy's. Normally I wouldn't pass up on the chance to see JT trying on clothes. But knowing she only wanted to impress little man turned me off.

"I can't go," I said. "I have to work with a classmate on a project."

"Ohh okay," Caresha said, nodding.

JT, however, just stared at me.

"What?" I responded

"What?" I responded.

"Nothing. Nothing at all." She flipped her hair and then unlocked her own phone, pursing her lips.

The rest of lunch was awkward, so I was glad when the break was over.

"Bye y'all," I said as we dispersed and went to my last class of the day.

JT was texting me as Professor Harris gave his same monotone lecture. When he wasn't paying attention, I casually looked down and unlocked my phone.

JT: you at least coming over to see my fit ?

I shook my head at this girl and waited five minutes before responding.

Me: you can send me pics

I laughed when she texted back a glare. Maybe I was being petty but no lies were told. I didn't need to physically be there, she really could just text me her outfit, Facetime me or Zoom even.

Another text came through, but it wasn't from JT. This time it was from Daya, my partner for the project. She apologized and asked if we could push our meeting up to an hour because she had to handle something and didn't want to cut into our time for the project. I told her it was no problem.