Chapter 25 : Home

Start from the beginning

She leant her head against the back of her seat. 

"You good?" Elijah questioned, noticing her pale skin. He placed a hand against her forehead only to withdraw it quickly. "You're burning Addie"

"I'm fine Lijah" She sighed, watching the trees blur past the windows. 

The plane ride back was similar to the first one except neither of the twins vomited over themselves unlike last time. Thankfully. 

Addie collapsed onto her bed when they finally arrived home 15 hours later. 

She felt absolutely awful, her head was pounding and her chest crackled. She could feel herself sweating through the several layers of clothing she had on despite her goosebumps.

"Your brother was telling me you didn't feel well" Addie shot up from lying down, startled by the silent voice. 

"Harlan" Was all she said. "Lijah doesn't know what he's talking about" She sighed, shutting her eyes again. 

She flinched slightly as his cool hand rested upon her forehead. 

"You're burning up. I'm going to get the doctor over" He brushed her hand with hid thumb before leaving her in silence. 

He returned less than two hours later with a man. He wasn't an ordinary doctor, Addie could tell. He was dressed in cargo pants and a black t-shirt. 

"This is Jensen, he works at our business as a medic. He's just going to check you over quickly." Harlan said. 

Addie sat up on the bed as the man listened to her heart and lungs with a stethoscope. He took her temperature and did a few other things. 

"It sounds too me like she has a chest infection" He told Harlan, turning to face him. Addie already knew that. "Her heart's racing, I presume from the stress and her oxygen levels are low. Taking into account her complex history, I would suggest you take her to the ER for treatment." 

Harlan nodded as he shook the mans hand. Harlan told Joe to help Addie pack a bag to take to the hospital. 

"Joe, I can do it" She insisted as he forced her to lay on her bed. 

"No, you rest. What clothes do you want." He grabbed some pyjamas at Addie's instruction along with a sweatshirt.

After her iPad and charger had been packed in her rucksack, Joe put her toothbrush and paste in the top of the bag. 

"Is that everything?" He asked. When he had finished he scooped Addie up in one arm. 

"I can walk you know." She sighed, all the same leaning her head on his chest.

Elijah insisted on coming to the ER with her and Joe. Harlan apologised that he wouldn't be able to come but Addie assured him she was fine. James left with a pout after he was told to stay at home. 

"But Elijah's going" He whined as Harry led him back into the house. 

The car ride was silent, Addie focusing more on breathing than conversation. Deep down she was relieved that they had found out. She really needed some oxygen. 

They didn't have to wait in the waiting room for very long before Addie was called into a side room in the ER. A oxygen mask was strapped to her face and a cannula put in the back of her hand. 

X-rays were quickly taken and a doctor immediately came to see her. A lung function test was carried out and the doctor returned with a slight frown. 

He put her file down on the end of the bed, Addie has her eyes half closed as Joe ran a hand through her messy curls. 

"Her lung functions down to 63% and she has a serious chest infection. Her heart is racing due to the stress her body is under." The told them as he motioned for the nurse to put up the IV antibiotics. "We'll do a course of IV and nebulised antibiotics."