26. A Ghost in the Shadows

Start from the beginning

Ah, the bliss in being completely ignorant.

The bliss in not knowing what your future will hold, in not knowing what will happen next.

I'm glad I didn't know. It would have made my last moments in the light full of torment and dread.

I had eagerly pulled my cart into the kitchen, which had always been my favorite room to clean in. Jules and Steph were my closest friends, and I always had fun with them around. Even Corbin, who was nearly twice my age, was somebody I always knew could make me laugh.

I loved my job.

"Hey, guys!" I called out eagerly. Jules glanced up, moving her hand away from her face - picking at one of her acne scabs, a habit she tried to refrain from doing. She grinned. "How was your date?"

Steph smiled sheepishly as she passed me an apple. I accepted it gratefully, placing it carefully on my cart to eat later, when I was feeling snack-ish.

Jules glared accusingly at Steph. "How many people did you tell?"

"Most of the staff," Steph shrugged. "Everybody probably knows by now."

That's not what I asked.

"Oy! Jules!" I waved my duster in the air. "I need details!"

"You sound like Steph," she muttered. I smiled. "We talked, we kissed, and we talked some more."

That's it?

I threw her a dejected look as I moved closer and began dusting off the counter. "That's less dramatic than I thought it would be," I said. "Where's the declaration of love?"

Every love story needs a declaration of love.

"There is no love," Jules rolled her eyes. "I like her. I do not love her. If you want declarations of love, go find Jase Charlton."

Huh?

"The hot Charlton boy?" He's scrumptious. "Or, rather, the younger hot Charlton boy? Who's he in love with?"

Why aren't the hot ones ever single?

"Kriss," Steph said. Corbin frowned, looking confused. "Oh, come on, Corbin! Are you blind? He was staring at her all night! The same way you were looking at Jenna in that wedding photo you showed me!"

How romantic!

"Wait, wait, wait," Jules was staring at me. "You think Weston is hot too?"

And you don't?

"Um, yeah?" Obviously. "You didn't notice?"

"He's not really my type," Jules said. "And he's, like, ten years older than me."

Right. He doesn't have a vagina. Though with those looks, it would be just my luck to realize he has a little shrimp for a penis.

"Seven years older," Steph corrected. "Seven years."

Potayto, Potahto.

"Do you think he's single?" I placed the duster back on the cart and pulled out the vacuum. Out of everything, I think I dislike vacuuming the most. I can't communicate with anybody when it's turned on! It's too loud! I glanced at Jules. "Do you know?"

Without waiting for an answer, I powered up the vacuum, watching the cooks exchanged amused glances for the entirety of the five minutes I spent vacuuming the kitchen. I could be faster at it, but I like to take my time while cleaning. It's probably why Mrs. Darcy hasn't fired me yet.