•| Chapter 1 |•

Erwin's POV

The setting sun glazed in through my office window, a small breeze drawled inside, circulating the scent of oak and leather round my room, I sat overlooking the new recruit files that shrouded my workspace, Commander Shadis has demanded them to be analyzed from the most capable efficiency rankings. I don't agree mostly about how Keith encores with his decisions. Its not my place, I'm aware. However, focusing on only the stronger will never sit right with me. A small rap at the door awoke my exclusive thoughts.

"Its Miche." Miche Zacharias, we trained along side each other as cadets, no referred to as Humanity's-Number-One and corporal Erwin Smith. Miche was never one for talking, but his odd quirk for sniffing things kept up with his reputation.

"Enter" I replied, placing the papers down. Zacharias strolled in, his usual grim expression his bangs shadowed his eyes. He leant against the wall letting out a deep breath.

"I came to see if you were alright." He paused, brushing the hair out of his face. "I heard about what happened to M/n."

His monologue silenced the room. I stared at him while keeping my professional manner. "What are you talking about?"

The tense atmosphere rippled as it was interrupted by Darius Zackly, and two military branch soldiers. Me and Miche brushed off our former business arising from my chair, saluting to his entry in respect.
"Apologies for my intrusion, lieutenant. However there is a matter to be discussed." Darius's eyes narrowed to Miche, then back to me "May I have a moment of your time?"

"I'll take my leave, sir." Zacharias left the room, hinting my a look of reassurance.

"Good evening, Sir. What brings you the honors of coming here?"

"Good evening, Lieutenant Smith." Zackly waved his hand at the two MP's to leave the room as well. Soon ambling his way towards my desk, making himself comfortable in the opposite chair. Slipping a white envelope from his pocket, placing it neatly on the worktop.
"I'm afraid, Erwin. My presence here isn't with great closure. I have some, unfortunate news." He paused sweeping some excess yarn off his trench-coats collar. "It's come to my attention, early this day of an... incident, concerning M/n, Your wife." his hawk like-eyes flickered at mine sharply. "...Well, it's not my business over your relationship." He paused again, turning his head to his brown leather shoes. "I suppose I ought to get to the point...My dearest apologies, truly." He frowned, clearing his throat. "A body was discovered in a local residence in the capital, soon identified as none other than M/n. It's quite obvious from the injuries as a stabbing, the weapon and neither the attacker have been recovered. We believe M/n was living with someone, we're currently in the process of finding them. That's all the information I can really give you."
He sighed again, the rooms aura was tense. "The main reason I, myself am here, is because M/n left a child, a daughter. In your name."

I sat dumbfounded, my mind had gone completely blank. All this information has come out of absolutely nowhere. M/n's dead? was that what Miche meant earlier? Now there's a child?

"I have already mentioned this gesture to Shadis and he seems neutral with it, as long as it doesn't interfere with your duty."

"Sorry, Neutral with what?" I asked, my voice was clearly shaken, Why wouldn't it? The one person in this world I felt passion for had been murdered, a life cut short that had so much potential... maybe I was drunk so drunk on lust I even convinced myself we were so much as soulmates... completely irrational but true.

Darius ignored my question, continuing with his statement. " Of course, knowing your position I can see how a child could cause you distress. Like I said before, we believe M/n was living with someone. So if you prefer, we can send her to a foster home... till further notice." He rose from the chair adjusting his belt, already assuming my answer.

I cleared my throat rising from my chair too, "I'll take care of her for now." I began, my sentence sounded weird, like I was struggling to think of words. He raised his eyebrows questionably, "-The child I mean." He analyzed my face for a moment, I furrowed my eyebrows straightening my features. "If the girl is able to give information about what happened, then I suggest her being with someone that is experienced with such matters, If you're seeking a clear statement, of course." I paused again to swallow "Nor will it interfere with my duties. Sir." His face relaxed, replying with a smirk, while slightly bowing his head.

"Alright, I'll have someone bring her in." he walked towards the door, stopping half way, turning back to me. "Your reasoning before, about the girl having any pointers, is quite correct. Unfortunately, the child witnessed the event take place... She hasn't really spoken a word since, but hopefully, when she's comfortable." he sighed "She might be able to give a description as an eye witness." he looked me up and down. "I trust that you are capable of keeping such events under-raps. We don't want to cause panic of a potential multi-murderer roaming the streets." He ended sharply, before finally leaving the room.

As soon as he left, I fell back into my chair.
Maybe M/n did leave out of neglect-no, of course she left out of neglect, It was stupid of me to have even thought it would be a happy marriage, I barely had time for her and when I did it was obvious I was exhausted! she probably did find someone else and...raise a family? Then again, why did she leave the kid to me? Unless- Don't tell me M/n was abandoned... again...? fuck. I felt like tearing myself apart at the fact that I wasn't there to save her...

...or the girl.