Chapter 12: Wedding Ring

"What do you mean?" I ask Schlatt with shock.

"Like I said, I'm dying." He says, clearly unbothered.

"You look fine to me." I tell him and looked at Quackity to see that even he was serious.

"I'm an old man with heart problems. Plus I drink every day." Schlatt explains the obvious.

"Okay I get it, but why tell me?" I ask him confused.

"Because when I die, chaos will erupt. I need you to do some things for me." Schlatt says. "Quackity, I need you to leave the room."

"Of course." Quackity says with a nod and leaves us two alone.

"I want you to take over Manberg when I'm gone and I need you to watch Quackity for me. I don't have much time left. The reason I'm telling you this, is because I know you can take it, you're the only one able to rule over this land." Schlatt explains to me.

"But how? I've never ruled over land." I tell him with a confused look.

"I know you can do it. You're driven and rule with a strong hand. Manberg needs that, Quackity needs that." Schlatt says as he mumbles the last part.

"But do you have a plan for this?" I ask him.

"I know Pogtopia is planning their revolution. They will attack once I'm weak, then they take over. I will walk you through the plan, but you can't tell anyone about this." Schlatt explains.

"Okay, tell me the plan."

-

"Where's Quackity?" I ask Schlatt.

"Gone. I started the plan." Schlatt says, clearly doubting himself and angry.

"Just remember, it's all for the better. Just follow the plan." I tell him and he nods.

"I know, it's just that-" Schlatt groans and pulls his hair. "He's my everything. He was there for me, he made sure I won, he never left me. And I guess, deep down, I thought he would still stay with me even after we would fight."

And for the first time in my life here, I looked at Schlatt differently. He wasn't a tyrant, he was just on the loose a bit. I realized that his whole personality is just an act, nothing more than that. Deep inside he's vulnerable about the things you least expect him to be.

"Ready to put on the ring now?" Schlatt asks me.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I say with a sigh.

"You'll get through it." Schlatt tells me and grabs the wedding ring from his safe. He walked up to me and I held out my hand. Schlatt took one last look at my eyes and then slid it on my ring finger.

It was a beautiful, but basic ring. It was made out of silver and had a small, but detailed diamond on it. A minimalistic wedding ring. Schlatt told me it would fit me the best and I totally agree.

It's all going according to plan...