The Truth Hurts

Boston was coming over to my house so we could watch a movie. So I was on the phone with Claire talking to her about what was going on and asking her what I should do. "I mean this is my first date since Jake. I'm scared. Also I'm worried about what will happen when I tell him about how I had cancer." "Listen you'll be okay. I promise." "Okay." "Now what are you going to wear?" I showed her my outfit which was a black tank crop top with the word angel on it, with my blue ripped jeans and my black and white plaid shirt over the crop top. "Omg you look perfect!" "Thanks. Do you think he will like it?" "No..." I looked at her a bit upset. "He'll love it!" She said finishing her sentence. "You think so?" "I know so!" "Awesome!" Ding dong... I heard the doorbell. "Oh! He's here, I'll call you after he leaves okay." "Yeah sounds good, have fun. And don't worry about telling him, if it's meant to be said today then it will be." "Okay well love you! Bye!" "Bye" I hung up and then went to the front door. "Hey!" I said hugging Boston. "Hey!" He said hugging me back. "You look great." He said looking me up and down. "Thanks, you don't look to bad yourself." "Thanks." He said laughing. We walked into the living room where I had snacks and drinks set out for us. "Wow you put a lot into this." "I mean we are watching a movie, so we need all the proper snacks and drinks, like popcorn, gummies, chocolate, and soda." "Well now I feel bad that you got all of the snacks." "But you got the movie! And without that it wouldn't be a movie date." "I guess that's true." "So what movie did you get?" "Well I know how bummed you were that you couldn't watch it in theaters so I rented 'The Turning' "(a/n this is actually a really good movie, and I was supposed to see it for my birthday then we went in lockdown so I couldn't. But then I rented it and made my friend you gets scared if everything watch it with me. Plus it had Finn Wolfhard in it so we were both happy.) "Oh My God you are literally the best!" I hugged him and then we both laughed. I loved that the whole conversation was fun light hearted and not forced at all. We watched the movie and Boston and I both jumped once. It was at the dumbest part to. Literally the lady closes the window and the loud noise made me and him both jump. That was it, not because it was scary just because it was a loud noise and there was surround sound so it was even louder. After the movie Boston and I were having a sort of deep conversation, and I knew this was the moment I should tell him about my cancer. "So there is something important that I should probably tell you." "What is it?" "Well last year i-" "Who is this!" Tommy said coming in unannounced. "It's Boston! You've already met him! Wait I thought you were supposed to be at Jack's house today!" "I got home like an hour ago." "Well can you leave!" "Whatever! Bye Boston!" I waited for him to leave and I was about to start talking and then Boston asked, "So what was it you were about to say?" I popped a piece of popcorn in my mouth before speaking. "In the begin-" I then started to choke on a popcorn kernel. I started coughing a bunch and then my mom came running in. "Honey are you okay! Do I need to take you to the doctor. We can't risk you getting sick again. The doctor said the cancer could come back." My mom paused then realized Boston was in the room. "I'll leave you two alone." She said while walking out again. "Cancer?" "I was trying to tell you, last year I was diagnosed with cancer. My survivorship appointment was right before I went to lunch with everyone and then you showed up." "Oh, well why didn't you tell me." "I don't know, I was worried you would treat me differently." "I get it but you should have told me." "I know." I hugged him and we sat and talked a bit longer. "You want to go get ice cream?" "Sounds like fun. Let's go." "Great. " We got our shoes on and walked out the door. While walking out I yelled. "I'll be back soon mom! Boston and I are going to go get ice cream." "Okay have fun! Don't be too long!" "Will do!" We left and walked to the ice cream parlor. "Is that Gus and Kyla?" I asked. "I think it is." We walked in and knew immediately it was Gus and Kyla. They both looked over and saw us. "Hey guys!" Kyla said. "Hey!" We had a bit of small talk and then they left and headed back to the G's house. Boston and I both decided to just walk around. "We should probably be headed back soon." I said breaking the comfortable silence. "Yeah." He replied. We then headed back to my house. "I had a lot of fun tonight Boston. Even though we had to wear a mask in the ice cream parlor." "Yeah I had fun to." "We should do it again sometime." "Yeah." " Thank you. I really needed a break from everything." "What's that mean?" "My mom and brother are driving me crazy!" I lied, I couldn't tell him that I previously had a crush on his cousin. "Oh makes sense." We both chuckled and as if it only took us 5 seconds to walk back, we were back at my house. "Goodnight Boston." I said hugging him. "Goodnight." He said tightening the hug. I then walked inside. "Did you have fun?" My mom asked as I walked in the door. "The best date ever." "I'm glad. But I am worried a bit." "Why?" "I've been thinking. Are you sure you like Boston, or do you like Gordy still and your just trying to block that out of your brain by using someone else?" "I like Boston." "Okay. Just make sure you take a while to think about that, because it can hurt your friendships with them if you change your mind." "I know mom." "Okay well why don't you go get ready for bed." "Okay I will." I went upstairs and go ready for bed. Then I got in bed and texted Claire. I told her everything even what my mom said as I walked in the house. But the she had to go to bed so I did too. But I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about what my mom said. I was also wondering if she was right.