Chapter 10

"Foster! Why did you run out of the house like that—what happened? Maggie... are you alright?" I heard Michael ask as he came closer to Foster and me. Though, I paid no mind to him and just held Foster tighter. I dug my tear streaked face into his shoulder further. I really didn't want to have Michael see me like this. Crying uncontrollably and everything, I was self-conscious. I didn't let many people see me cry.

"Just help me get her inside." That was all Foster said to him, and Foster put his forearm under my knees and lifted me closer to his chest. I don't even have half the mind to protest as he quickly carries me to the front door. I tilted me towards the door handle, as a signal for Michael to open it.

"You didn't do anything to her...right, Foster?"

"No. Do you think she'd be holding on to me like this if I had? Trust me."

With one quick glance down at me, Michael nods...he did trust him. So he opened the door without another word.

After Foster carried me in, he headed straight up the stairs. I heard Michael softly shut the door and quietly follow him. Glancing at Michael from over Foster's shoulder, I see how worried he is for me and it makes me feel guilty. So I turn my face into Foster's neck.

"Everything's going to be okay, Maggie." He whispers, then nods for Michael to yank the covers back on my bed. After he does, Foster swiftly set me down and then concealed me completely with my bed sheets like he'd done with his. I would have smiled at the gesture if I could, right now.

"Mike can't see you so don't be ashamed..." Foster leaned into me, and said quietly enough so that Michael couldn't hear it, "I'll be right back. I'm not going to leave you alone tonight." Then, for a moment, he placed a hand on the side of my face, gently, but the covers kept it from being skin to skin contact.

I missed his comfort when he walked away from me to talk quietly to Michael. So to fill the void I immediately curled myself up in a ball and turned my back to them. The thoughts off where my dad could have gone never dissipated: where my dad is...what he was even doing, and why he left so quickly. He didn't even say a word to me really, just left. I mean was it that bad for him. Is thinking about mom that bad for him?

"—tell dad... he'll know how to handle this." Michael's whispered voice could be heard from the hallway.

"Mike. She wasn't abandoned." Foster said sharply.

"You don't know that."

"I saw him, he hightailed it out of this house like it was on fire and didn't have anything with him...there's no way he left her for good."

"Okay, we can't just leave her here though—" Michael solemnly spoke to himself.

"I wasn't planning on it."

"I'm still going to let dad know what's happening over here. And I'll stay here too... Don't give me that look. You know dad's not going to let you be with her alone."

Foster doesn't say anything, and I hear Michael sigh before he speaks up again, "...— don't you?" I missed what Michael asked Foster, but Foster doesn't say anything again. So Michael took the hint that he wasn't in the talking mood anymore and left, but not before saying a soft goodbye to me as I heard him step back into the room for a moment.

I don't bother to move, or make any indication that I heard him.

Once Michael was gone, I felt the bed dip next to me as Foster sat down near my bent knees. He sighed, and then he tentatively placed a hand on my right one and slowly rubs circles into it to sooth me.

"I shouldn't have looked..." I finally breathed out, between the tears falling from my eyes and sniffling. I confessed to Foster what I'd done. I wanted to tell Foster the reason why my dad ran away.