first meetings

will glanced over his shoulder again Horace was getting closer and he wasn't sure if he could keep ahead of the bigger boy. he had to hide. fast. he looked around desperately he was on the 4th flour stairwell he knew there was on a few more floors to go so he figured it'd be better to stop now rather than end up trapped. he could hear the heavy stamp of his pursuers feet.  people rarely look up. will darted to the wall and quickly selected foot and hand holds on the rough stone he started climbing 3 out of 4 he thought in his head he reached the top in a matter of seconds and halled himself up onto one of the rafters not a moment to soon Horace appeared below him "i know you're here will and i know you took it" he called he glanced around don't look up don't look up will prayed to Loki his favorite god of trickery "looking for someone boy" a figure stepped out of the shadows it took a lot for will not to move as he knew movement would give him away. it was a ranger. why does it have to be a ranger! Horace paled at the sudden sight of the mysterious figure it seemed he appeared out of nowhere. "cat got your tongue" the ranger asked "n-no sir" Horace stuttered "a monkey then" Horace seeming to forget it was a ranger "monkeys right but not the tongue part" he scowled the ranger flicked his cowl back to reveal a shock of red hair so not the usual ranger will thought this day just keeps getting better and better first he gets in trouble during class when Horace sent a slip of paper with a picture of the teacher pulling a face of course Horace wasn't caught but he was master john sure knew how to handle a stick then Horace had accused him of taking his mothers pendant that he wore underneath his shirt he hadn't but the teacher had found out of course so another switching even though they didn't take the time to check they seemed to have figured Horace never lies and will is devil spawn never doing anything other than trouble the baron had caught them once and they justified it by saying that he was always doing something wrong in the time their back was turned.

he was brought back to reality as the ranger spoke "what did will take" he asked Horace shuffled his feet "my mothers pendant sir its all i have left" he said something flicked across the rangers face. compassion. "you're from the ward" it wasn't as much a question as a statement "yes sir" the ranger leaned over to rest a hand on Horace's shoulder "I'm sorry lad" he said Horace kept his eyes on his feet the ranger drew back along with something in his hands "this wouldn't by chance be it would it" he asked dangling the necklace in front of the boys face Horace looked away guiltily not able to hold the rangers gaze "i suggest you look more careful next time before you go around accusing your friends of theft" 

"y-yes sir" Horace stutted "no harm done" will nearly snorted but stopped himself in time his shoulders still stung from the switching and it was all for nothing he had known it. "run along it'll be dinner soon" Horace bowed slightly turned and left the ranger looked up at will "you can come down now" will slid off his perch and dropped lightly to the ground bending his knees to take the impact "thankyou sir" he said crowley nodded "least i could do Crowley's the name" he stuck out his hand and will shook it "will" 

"well will care to tell me what happened" will shrugged "he thought i took his mothers necklace so he chased me to get it back" 

"you're a terrible liar" will jumped at least a foot and swung around to reveal another ranger behind him he hung his head waiting he wasn't waiting for long "I've been watching you most of the day boy it was a lot more than that" will looked up curious "you where" not waiting for an answer he continued "where were you, can you teach me to move like that and how did you get your cloaks are you really magic?" the questions poured out crowley laughed "slow down youngster why don't you just answer our questions first then we'll do yours'' will nodded "yes sir sorry sir" he waved a dismissive hand "why did you climb" crowley asked  will shrugged "it was either that or i keep going risk the chance of him catching up before i reach the top or get stuck up there with him when i get there because i really don't want to climb out the windows again he sat there waiting last time because it was too tricky to climb down i ended up falling into a pile of hay" he explained "does he bully you often" the newer ranger asked will pondered the question "it's not exactly bullying sir i guess it's just the way he takes his grief" he explained again crowley raised an eyebrow "doesn't change the meaning" will shrugged again not knowing how to reply "i'll talk to your teachers boy tell em it wasn't you" the red headed ranger said but will shook his head determined "no, thankyou, sir it won't change anything just make em even more suspicious and wary around me knowing i was helped by a ranger i can handle it" crowley frowned "why" the understanding dawned on him as will explained "they think your magic as well as the fact that i have no family history at all not even a last name tends to make most people steer clear" 

"it isn't right though" he muttered will shrugged "its fine i don't mind being alone i like spending time in the forest or helping out doc" the normal ranger blinked "why the doc" will grinned sheepishly "payback i suppose his treated me so many times i guess i owe him but usually he just sends me out to gather plants or copying remedies for them into a book that's easier to search through" crowley went to say something more but the dinner bell rang out will bit his lip "sorry rangers i gotta go i'll get in trouble again if i'm too late" so saying he took off down the stairs leaving the rangers to watch his back.

"bet you 2 gold pieces you'll take him as an apprentice in 5 years" halt snorted at his friend "i just got rid of the last one so you're on" crowley grinned evilly and halt felt a worm of doubt "of course in 5 years you wouldn't have" neither men knew that will would indeed become halts apprentice he would never forget that first meeting and he would exceed his future mentors reputation

whew that took a bit 1200 words!so what do you think? please comment and vote any ideas i'd love to hear them! hang in there i think wills gonna get a pet monkey this'll be fun!!🏹🏰