Chapter Six

Chapter Six

* * *

Keith smiled down at his little pet. She was shaking in his arms, but he was pleased she wasn't pulling away from him. He was thankful that mother dismissed the maids for the day - they were so mean to her. And he hated to think someone else was torturing her.

"Please don't hurt me," Meredith whispered, and Keith felt angry all over again. He pushed her away and he glared down at her.

"Why do you always say that? You always fucking assume I'm going to hurt you!"

Meredith watched Keith with wide eyes as he yelled out angrily. "For once, I want you to look me like you enjoy my company! Is that too much to ask!"

Meredith nodded her head yes, that she would start doing so, but she knew deep inside she'd always be afraid of Keith. He'd hurt her too many times for her to count. He'd beaten her senseless so many times she was accustomed to the feel of it. He often didn't touch her softly. Every touch of his usually brought pain.

But she had to try. If being nice to him meant he wouldn't beat her, she would try. So, she sucked up her fear and looked at him, really looked at him. Usually, when her eyes fell upon him, she saw him as a frightening man with strong arms and a tall build. She usually saw all of the attributes that could be used against her.

But now, she really looked. Because it could prevent her pain. So, she stared into his green eyes. She took in his slicked back, perfectly combed hair. Keith had always had pale skin, but Meredith never really took in how smooth it was, and how perfect his complexion was.

His face wasn't hideous, in fact, it was quite the opposite. And paired with his lean, strong build, Meredith had to admit that her master was handsome. It was no wonder the brunettes he brought home were plenty, and why the maids always fawned after him.

But, Meredith hadn't thought of Keith in any way other than her master since she was a young girl. Back when the two were friends, Meredith looked up to Keith. But, good things don't last forever.

Keith grabbed her face softly. "That's right. Look at me like that. Stop with the fearsome look."

His voice was soft, and his mouth was pulled into a smile, but Meredith wasn't convinced. She could still feel the fear coursing in her veins, but she was trying so hard to push it down. To forget about it. To give in to what her master wanted.

Keith tucked a strand of damp hair behind her ear. "Now, I'm only going to ask this once. What were you doing with my brother?"

Meredith fought to stop herself from flinching. She didn't want to answer, afraid that he'd be angry with her. "Nothing. He came down here, found me, demanded answers out of me then let me shower."

Keith wasn't satisfied. "What sort of questions?"

Meredith swallowed thickly. "What my name was. Why I was here. Things like that."

Keith's eyes darkened. "And I presume you told him everything, right? You begged him to call the police, right?" His hold on her chin tightened painfully, and Meredith squeezed her eyes shut to stop herself from letting tears escape. That, however, only made Keith more angry.

"Open your eyes!" He yelled, and Meredith did as she was told, looking into his angry face. "I'm right, aren't I? You would leave me just like that, would you? After all I've done for you?"

Meredith wanted to pull away. "No! If I wanted to leave, I would have told the police yesterday! I don't want to leave."

Keith wasn't satisfied. "I don't believe you." His fingers dug deep into her chin still, but he wasn't aware of that. All he was aware of was how afraid he was of her leaving him. His deepest fear was her finding a way to get to the phone, which of late wasn't too hard, since he'd caught her more than once upstairs despite the basement door being locked.