Chapter Twø

Chapter Twø

* * *

Meredith hated her life.

She hated it so much she would rather die than be stuck in this situation any longer. She'd contemplated killing herself multiple times, but there was never any way to do so. She wasn't allowed near sharp objects. Her shower didn't have a tub to drown herself in. She couldn't figure out a way to end her miserable life.

The maids made it worse. There were four of them, all girls who were in their earlier twenties. They'd been in love with Keith for years, and hated Meredith for being close to him.

Meredith wanted to tell them they weren't close, not at all. Keith enjoyed seeing pain in her eyes, and Meredith could only run so far. It was a sick relationship, but it was one Meredith couldn't escape. She had the luxury of leaving the basement, but never close enough to freedom.

And Keith hated it. He hated seeing her in his house more than anything. Meredith believed it had to do with the fact that seeing her in his house made it more real. That she was really there.

Today, the maids were in a foul mood. Apparently, they found Keith's pet of the week scurrying out of the house with hair that screamed one night stand. The maids hated those girls almost as much as they hated Meredith. Maybe even a little bit more.

"Okay, little pet. Let's see what we can do with you today."

All the maids looked the same. They were all blonde, which was a refreshing change from all the brown haired girls that danced their way through the house. They were also very beautiful.

Meredith hated them. She hated their freedom. She hated their personalities.

"If this is about Master, then you should turn right back around. I'm not the one he's sleeping with. There is no need to punish me further."

The maids cackled. "Oh, the little pet wants to negotiate. Well, let's make a deal. This time Jolie will hold you down and I'll slap you. Does that sound good?"

Meredith flinched away and tried to scramble into her corner, but she didn't get far. The maids yanked Meredith away from the wall and yanked her close. Just as promised, Jolie held her down with a wicked grin while Taylor slapped her across the face multiple times. The other two just watched a laughed. Meredith found that they weren't nearly as violent, but just as horrible.

Taylor grabbed onto her collar. "Look at this thing! So demeaning! You're nothing more than a dog!"

Taylor was right, and Meredith knew this, but she refused to retort even though she wanted to. She wanted to scream and yell and beat up the maids, but she knew better. And she was so weak she didn't think she could.

Soon, the slapping became other things, and once Meredith was in so much pain she could barely move, the maids yanked her up. "Now, the kitchen needs to be cleaned. You best get to it until your master comes home and beats you."

Meredith could only nod. She scrambled to her feet and rushed up the stairs two at a time. Keith was at school and his parents were at work. She was alone with the maids, which was nothing new. They'd been around her entire life here, only they had never been so mean. The others didn't look or talk to her.

Meredith prefered that.

The maids watched gleefully as Meredith grabbed the cleaning supplies. One pushed her to the ground and they all laughed. "Start with the floor."

The maids watched as Meredith got on her hands and knees and began to scrub. She wanted to cry so badly, but she knew better. She wouldn't give these maids the satisfaction. Never in a million years.