Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"Well, she's yours, alright." The DNA specialist looked at the paperwork, eyeing both sheets as if he didn't already know the results. "Question is, where'd you find her?"

Don rubbed the back on his neck. "I broke up a female trafficking warehouse. She was there. She told me a little about herself, and the coincidences were too similar. She said she was also taken on Christmas. Stuff like that."

The DNA specialist nodded, putting the papers down. "Well, you're lucky. You've find your daughter again. Not everyone is as lucky."

Don was aware of this. So painfully aware that it made him hope that every missing child could be reunited with their families. However, working in the business told him that there was no way that hope was possible.

Don stood up and made his way to the lobby, numb. When he saw the head of brunette hair, his heart soared. Darcy is back. Darcy is home!

His phone buzzed in his pocket. Looking at the screen, a wider smile erupted over his face."Honey, great timing. I just got back the results. She's Darcy!"

There was silence on the other end of the line before a sob met Don's ears. He knew it was a sob of happiness and excitement, and he was only moments away from tears. Their search was finally over.

"I'll get her room ready. The bed's a little small, but I hope she won't mind! And clothes, the poor dear needs clothes. I'll run by the mall right now. Oh, honey, she's home! Our baby is finally home!" Don's wife was crying, but the excitement in her voice made Don's heart nearly break.

Don sat beside Meredith, pulling her into a hug. "Okay, honey. I'll let you go. We'll both see you at home."

Meredith looked up at the man. Don, she reminded herself. His name is Don. She'd never seen someone so happy before. Happiness wasn't abundant in the Chamber's household. But, seeing the love on Don's face made her realize what news he had just received.

"Meredith, I'm your father. Now, I have to be honest with you - I suspected you were my missing daughter, and that's why I went through great lengths to DNA test you. Your search for your family is over, Meredith. I'm here."

Meredith felt her heart stop for a moment, before it regained a normal rate. "My father? You're really my dad?" She couldn't stop the smile from spreading, and before she knew it, her arms were wrapped tight around his neck. "I never thought this day would come!"

Tears fell down her face, but she didn't bother hiding them. She suspected that Don wouldn't beat her for showing weakness. "Yes, my sweet sweet Darcy. You're mine."

Meredith pulled away, wiping her tears. "Darcy?"

Don's face crumpled in fear. Fear that his slip up would send her running. "Darcy was your name before you were taken. If you'd prefer Meredith, we can continue to call you that."

Meredith nodded. "Actually, Mary. I'd like to be called Mary." She saw it as a chance to start new, without completely changing what she knew. She couldn't remember a time where she was called Darcy. But the name Meredith only brought memories of pain and fear. Memories of abuse and basements.

Mary would be a good name.

"Okay," Don agreed. "Mary it is."

The ride home had Mary shaking nervously. She was nervous to meet her mother and sister. She was nervous that they wouldn't want her once they realized just how messed up she really was.

"They're going to love you!" Don reassured Mary's silent thoughts. He noticed how shaken up she was, and how nervous she was. Don also realized that while she was freshly showered, she was still wearing his wife's clothes. And while he knew that his wife was out buying clothes, Don thought Mary may want to shop for her own.