Chapter Twenty

"I'm pregnant." The words fell from Mary's lips as she sat at the kitchen table, looking at a pregnancy test. She'd been to the doctors for morning sickness, only she didn't know that was a symptom of pregnancy. She hadn't even known what pregnancy was until the doctor explained it to her.

Now, as her parents looked at her, startled, she couldn't help but feel ashamed. Ashamed because she didn't know the implications of sex. Ashamed because she was in no way ready to have a child.

Ashamed because she had to tell Theodore.

It had to be his. She recalled what had happened weeks prior, when they were in bed together. She didn't know that led to having a baby. She didn't even know what condoms were.

"How?" Don demanded, seething with fatherly anger.

"I don't know. I was being sold for sex when you found me! It's entirely possible it could be any of theirs." She didn't want to rat Theodore out. That was the least of her intentions, because she knew if Don found out, he wouldn't let her be with Theodore anymore.

She couldn't bare that.

"How long did the doctor say you were pregnant?"

Mary closed her eyes, trying to remember. "I don't know. I forgot!"

Don rubbed his forehead. Then, he placed a hand on Mary's. "It's not your fault, sweetie. We'll get through this together, I promise. If we have to raise another child, that's what we'll do."

Her mother was standing silently, like she didn't know how to react.

"I'm going to tell Theodore." Mary said in a shaky voice, standing up. Don, of course, lashed out in anger.

"Why would you tell Theodore. What business is it of his?"

Mary flinched at the tone of voice, but she knew his anger was not at her but at Theodore. She knew from the start he didn't like Theodore, and if he found out the child was his, Mary knew her dad would freak.

"Because we're kinda together. Even you knew that, dad."

Don straightened up, like he suddenly remembered this little fact. "If he leaves you because of this, I swear-"

"Well, we won't know until I tell him." Mary cut him off. She picked up the house phone and dialed Theodore's number from memory.

"Hello?" He answered on the third ring, but he sounded distracted. Mary heard shuffling, and then quiet. "Mary?"

"Hi, Theodore." She breathed, relieved to hear his voice. Her parents were practically staring holes into her face, so she knew this had to be quick. "I have something to tell you."

Theodore was quiet for a moment. Then, "Has Keith gone to see you?" His tone sounded angry.

"No! Nothing like that." She'd told Theodore about the meeting in the supermarket, so she knew he wasn't inquiring about that. "It's uh,"

"What?"

"I'm pregnant, Theodore." She finally said, rushing it out. She squeezed her eyes shut, anticipating his next words. She was afraid, and she would admit that. She was afraid he would leave her, and never see her again. She was afraid he would press for her to put the baby up for adoption.

She was afraid he wouldn't take it well.

"Is it mine?" His voice was softer now.

"I don't know. I was with so many guys before my parents found me. It could be any of theirs." Or yours, she wanted to add, but not with her parents right there.