Chapter Øne

Chapter Øne

"What are you doing you scum? Get back to work!" The maid sent a swift kick to Meredith's side, causing her to fall over in pain. She was used to this treatment, though. As Keith's pet, the maids often found pleasure in pushing their jobs onto her. Meredith couldn't complain - she was nothing but a pet. She had no worth.

Her fingers ached as she pulled up the weeds in the front garden. She was so close to freedom, but she never had the guts to escape. Besides the fact that no one was looking for her, the Chambers had the front lawn on camera, and there was someone watching her right now. One step out of line and she'd be tackled by security.

There was no escape. Not that she wanted to. Growing up in this sort of lifestyle had made this seem normal. It was normal, to her. Meredith couldn't even remember her parents. She couldn't remember much of anything, besides the day she met Master Keith. Everything before that seemed like a blur. A lifestyle she'd never been a part of.

She was half convinced she was Keith's sister, and lived the lifestyle of Cinderella, but she knew better. She was no princess, and there were no princes. Not in this family.

Meredith's head whipped up as a car pulled into the driveway. She ducked it just as quickly when she realized who it was. As children, her and Keith got along. How could she not, he was her only friend. The two were inseparable for a while, but he grew bored. And he invested in other pets, only they were for much different reasons, and often never left his bedroom.

"Oh, Keith. Your house is so big!" Meredith eyed the brunette. She was like his usual pets, besides her. But, he didn't pick her out. No, his parents did, and to this day he holds that against them.

Keith held out his arm to the girl. He'd grown up quite well since he was a child. After much convincing, he got his parents to send him to a private high school, and then a private college, and he was thriving. Girls loved the whole clean shaven, blonde haired preppy boy. And Keith was such a preppy boy. He had the look down to a T.

Not that Meredith cared, because she didn't. She hated Master Keith. Hated him with such a passion.

He was nearly twenty-two and living large while Meredith was a nobody. She never went to school. Never did much of anything besides house work and living in the unfurnished basement.

"Is that your gardener?" The brunette wanted to know. Meredith kept her head down low, afraid of Master Keith. Once he'd grown up, he started to take a liking to beating her. His punishments were the only sort of affection she got.

"No." Was his curt response, and before Meredith could dig a hole and bury herself, Keith was grabbing her arm and yanking her up. She didn't fight him - she never did. Instead, she bowed her head respectfully.

"Master,"

"Not now, Meredith. You're a bad pet. You've disobeyed the rules." He whispered into her ear as he yanked her into the house. The leggy brunette was standing in the foyer, confused, but Keith assured her it would only be a moment.

Once in the basement, Keith threw her to the ground. Tears pricked in her eyes, but she said nothing as she stared up at her master. The boy who once used to be her friend.

"What the fuck were you doing outside?" Keith wanted to know. Meredith didn't have an answer that would make him happy. Of course, it was the maids, but he wouldn't like that and yell at the maids. This would result in them punishing Meredith even more.

"Gardening." Meredith decided. She knew she was playing with fire, but she couldn't stand a beating from Keith and the maids. Keith would be enough.