1

Welcome to my second book! If you read my first one, you know that my weakness is true love and discovering ones destiny. If that's you as well, this story won't disappoint :).
Before we jump to the story, I want to introduce you to our main characters, Eli and Emma.

.........

"Emma, room 2 needs wound cleaning and sutures," Drew calls to me as she runs to a more critical patient.
I finish up and then head to room 2. Today has been a long one. I'm about two hours past my 12 hour shift and we are so short staffed, I had to stay.

When I graduated medical school, I never imagined I'd end up here. At only 24, I'm the youngest graduate my med school has ever had. My professors were certain I would go on to be a surgeon or an oncologist or something more "worthy of my skills" than primary care, and I believed them. Well, I did, until my dad called me and told me that my mother had passed away.

If there are any words that can change your life in an instant, that can shatter your very soul, that can change the trajectory of your whole life, it's the desperate words my father spoke to me over the phone that day.
In a fit of grief, my father left my childhood home and moved to a remote area in the Appalachian mountains. The day after graduation, I packed up my apartment and moved across the country to follow him.

It just so happened that there was a large emergency care center in the area and they were desperate to hire another doctor. Drew, or Dr. Koster as her patients call her, took me under her wing.

Six months later, I've settled in to this rural life and although I miss the city, I miss my mother more. And this place with its towering mountains and big skies and forest that smells like rain and earth and pine, is somehow healing. I feel her here. I feel her in the very air.

There's a quote that says, "And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul," and after living here, I can say that I have done just that. There's magic here, I just know it.

"Mr. O'Malley?" I say as I look around the curtain to the patient in room 2. "Hi, I'm Dr. Alden-Delvaux and I'll be helping you today."

"A pretty face but a mess of a last name," Mr. O'Malley smiles.