Chapter 13: Fallon

My bedroom is empty, and surprisingly peaceful for once. Dropping my hunting gear to the ground, I strip my stained top off, tossing it in the direction of my used attire. I fall into my desk chair, rubbing a hand over my tired eyes. This desk is substantially smaller than the one I have in my study, but it is nice to have another space to do work in private.

Taking the goblet from the silver tray, I sip my blood wine while reading through some parchments. Most vampires like to drink blood from living beings, but elite vampires, especially ones with pure blood prefer blood wine. 

It is more of a boastful matter for elite vampires as blood wine is expensive. Blood wine is costly to make, mixing both fresh blood from all kinds of creatures with specially made wine that does not dilute the blood. It is logically saved for the wealthy and those willing to go broke.

Nikolai knocks on my door before coming in. Glancing over the top of a contract letter, he bows before setting a piece of paper the edge of my desk. 

I reach for the paper and scan through the content.

"Who is Miss Ardele?"

Nikolai straightens the collar of his shirt. "The next witch willing to die."

Sending him a grim smile, I drop the piece of paper, letting it flutter to the ground. "Send her in."

Tapping my finger on the desk, I watch as the seventh witch leaves the room. Her ink black hair is swept up with some strands falling out, framing her face. Her emerald eyes are full of defiance, and interestingly enough she does not ask a single question. She continued to unnervingly meet my eyes; she is clearly not from Arcana. I could tell the moment she stepped foot into the study.

Nikolai is leading her up to a room where she will reside for the next three days. I do not have much hope in her but there is something different about this witch than the others. 

Will she last longer? Will she actually find a cure? I push myself out of my chair, and I pace around the study. I should not get my hopes up too high. It will only bring more strife.

Nikolai has looked for information about Miss Ardele, but it seems as if she has not lived in Arcana for long. In fact, if she has only lived here for a mere couple days it would have not surprised me. 

She is like a ghost, leaving no footsteps to be traced. Not even ones that Nikolai could trace. And Nikolai is the best scout that know.

Curiosity brings me out of my study and walking up to her room. Usually the witches start on the day that they get here, but in a split-second decision, I decided to give her a day to recollect her thoughts. 

But there is no need to waste time. She should start today. My father's life is ticking down by the second. Every second wasted is time that my father will never get back.