Chapter 18: Ardele

The carriage drive is about ten minutes, and Lady Coralie and I step out when the castle gates open. We are already bracing ourselves for the scolding. The sky is now noon, and my stomach starts to rumble. Patting my stomach to quiet it, I feel the vials in my skirt, and I smile. One ingredient down, one more to go.

Nikolai glares at me, when he spots Coralie inside the carriage, but she sends him an enchanting smile. We wait until the castle gates are closed before following Nikolai inside. Nikolai stays mute, and I can tell Lady Coralie is glad. Nikolai is leading us to the crown prince's study though, and I can see her start to hesitate.

Falling into step with her, I lean in close to whisper. "It is okay. I will try to handle this."

Lady Coralie's mouth flattens. "You do not know what he is capable of."

Before she can elaborate on the topic, we all stop at the doors of the crown prince's study. Nikolai knocks, and the crown prince barks to come in. I walk in brazenly, taking a seat in front of him. 

Coralie is standing next to the chair I am sitting at, and Nikolai closes the doors, leaning against them. She is smiling brightly at her brother, but he is not fooled. I clasp my hands in my lap, waiting for the reprimands to begin.

"I am glad to see you both in one piece," the crown prince starts, "but Coralie, Nikolai is going to escort you out."

Coralie's smile turns tighter. "Fallon. If I was going to leave the study anyways, why did you have Nikolai escort me in?"

Crown prince Fallon ignores her comment. "Nikolai, escort her to her room please."

"Wait. Fallon, please."

"Hush. I am not in the mood today."

Before Nikolai can haul her out, I place a spell on him, freezing his actions. Nikolai can still move a bit as a regular vampire; like most vampires, he is not fully affected by magic. But Coralie and the prince who has pureblood coursing through their veins, light magic does not affect them in the slightest. 

Nikolai's hand is frozen on Coralie's arm. I whirl back around to the crown prince.

"You do not get to treat a person like that, Prince Fallon," I spit at him. "Especially your sister for goodness sake."

In a split second, the prince throws a blade at me, but I shatter it when it comes in contact with my hand. The magic emits a low hum through the room, making the books and pots on the shelf shake. 

He gets to his feet, sauntering calmly over. Meeting his grey gaze head on, he grabs his emerald encrusted spear-bladed dagger hanging on the wall and brings it to my throat. I allow him to, and he knows that. The blade pinches my throat, and I feel blood fall.

Smiling at him, I can see his glare narrow even more.

"Take my life if you want, your highness. I have the two siren's tears on me right now for the antidote."

His body stills, and I know for a man as sharp as him, he knows the value and significance of the tears.

"Lady Coralie was a big help in gathering them, and she was safe the entire time. I only need one more ingredient to complete the antidote."

From his stance, I can tell that Prince Fallon is not jesting. He genuinely wants to kill me. Fascinating.

"The thing is, your highness, you need me more than I need you."

The dagger slices in deeper, and I can feel my breaths start to shorten. In the presence of Coralie, I know he will not take my life. And I am correct. He harshly shoves me away, making me stumble. I take step back, crashing into a bookcase, and the crown prince tugs my wrists forward to stable me. Clamping down on my wrists, I know that I will find bruises there later.

Before I realize what he is doing, he slides the blade down my left arm, cutting through the beautiful blue fabric. I grind my teeth together to keep an even face. This is a demonstration of power. I will not give him the satisfaction of weakness. Blood pours out of the wound, sliding down my hand, dripping onto the pristine flooring . My face is frozen in a furious expression.

"Do not bring Coralie out unless you have spoken with me."

He brings the blade to his mouth and licks the blood off.

"Two days."

With that, the crown prince leaves the room.