• t h i r t y •

"The tornados of pain swirling in his eyes were captivating, pulling me in but pushing me away only to be drifted into the wind"

B l a z e

Saturday evening rolled by relatively quickly. I had spent the morning and last night packing behind my locked door, and avoiding human contact.

A few days ago Andrea had informed me that she was on-board with my moving, and she had talked to Aunt Mary about me going back there. I could tell from her face that she didn't like it one bit, but it was the best decision right now.

A bunch of my stuff, which wasn't a lot, was packed in boxes that were stacked against one wall of the room. I knew I still had a lot of things yet to pack, including going through the box stowed away, deep inside my closet.

It had all of mine and Kiara's things, amongst my parents belongings and I was stalling everyday because I didn't know if I had it in me to sift through all their stuff.

It was like a time capsule, but it didn't feel as if the wounds had still healed from their deaths for me to rehash them. It was probably dramatic of me, however I wasn't even close to that point where I would be able to look back on those times without breaking down.

I refocused my attention my current plans, avoiding that topic as usual. We were going bowling in two hours and I still had to shower and get ready. Dragging myself out of bed, I slipped into the shower and took my time scrubbing myself clean.

By the time I got out, it had been well over forty minutes and I spent another fifteen deciding on what to wear. For some odd reason, I felt good about myself today and decided on putting more effort into my outfit.

After much contemplation, I decided on a white crop top and some high waisted blue mom jeans. But once I put it on, my confidence wavered.

There weren't any sleeves and all the marks and bumps on my forearms were clearly visible. A litter of scars, some short and some long, were marred across my arms in a messy weave. Most of them were faint, but some stood out against my pale skin, drawing attention to the deformities.

I ran my fingers over the varying cuts, flinching as I felt a phantom pain shoot through me as I touched each one, remembering the way I had found solace in harming myself. They were hideous.

Salty tears pricked the corner of my eyes, and a heavy feeling settled down in my chest. I just wanted to feel better, but there was always something to drag me down. I clamped my eyes shut, feeling a few tears release and track down my cheek as I grappled my fingers in my hair.

I took a few deep breaths, this was no reason to cry over. Once again, I scanned my reflection avoiding the way my forearms burnt with an invisible ache. I took another deep breath, and calmed myself.