• f o r t y o n e •

"In daydreams and nightmares, in the light and the dark, she fought wielding the sword of strength and the crown of courage"

B l a z e

"Hello Aunt Mary," I bit my lip nervously as her face turned a deep crimson, almost identical to the wine glass perched between her manicured fingers.

"Don't you mean Count Olaf?" she sneered, and Travis snickered before Raf and I glared at him poisonously.

He shot me a helpless look and I could see him barely containing an outburst of chuckles.

"Who might this be?" she glanced disdainfully at Travis and Rafael, and I tensed.

"My friends," I gritted out and she sniffed dismissively.

"If you're going to be staying here, I expect respect from you." I clenched my jaw at her show of superiority. I simply nodded, hearing Rafael exhale a sharp breath.

"Your room's upstairs, second door on the left." With that, she left, offering me nothing but her air of contempt.

I turned to Rafael, who looked annoyed and furious, his jaw ticking harshly as he glared at the spot where Aunt Mary had been.

"Do you have to stay here?" He looked at me sharply and I nodded my head, shaking off the discomfort that arose at his scorching gaze.

"Okay then," he sighed before stepping inside, and Trav and I followed him.

"You almost made her blow a gasket," I muttered harshly to Travis who was still on the verge of a laughing fit.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. Did you see her face when you called her Count Olaf? That shit was epic," he whispered with a grin, and Raf turned to us, a small smile on his face.

We crossed the living room, and Aunt Mary frowned at the three of us from her recliner, a book placed facedown on the coffee table.

I rushed the other two out of there as quick as we could with boxes in all our hands, avoiding more than a second in her company.

I barely appreciated all the décor on my way up, cream walls cast in a soft orange glow by the lights along the staircase. They were decorated with various minimalistic art pieces which must have cost a lot, if the fancy signatures on the bottom were anything to go by.

Despite being a sordid witch, I did have to hand it to Aunt Mary. She was a single woman in her 40's with no one to spend all her money on but herself. She'd climbed up the career ladder in her law firm and was now a managing partner, all because of her hard work. I wished she'd just have a better personality.

When I used to stay with her when I was younger, she was still living a fairly average life. Maybe that was why she treated me miserably, but I knew better than that.