• t h i r t y f o u r •

"Like fluttering leaves in the wind, their happiness was fleeting. Bursting with energy in one moment, and lost to the world in another"

 Bursting with energy in one moment, and lost to the world in another"

B l a z e

Rafael's words left a fuzzy feeling in my veins as soon as they escaped his lips, paired with an unexplainable fire lighting up my heart. It was borderline insane how much power he held over both my feelings and emotions.

Fear, because I had never had someone care so much. What if he decided that I wasn't worth it? I couldn't bear to think of losing him, or all the others I'd gained in the span of these past few months if they thought I was weak for doing this to myself.

Lies were all I knew. Lying that I was alright, lying that I didn't think of ending it all in a swift moment, and lying that even though I didn't deserve it, my heart still craved love and comfort.

But right now, his words reflected nothing but the truth and for once, I believed that maybe being honest was just as comforting as lying.

The car was filled with a tense silence after that. I could practically hear the cogs turning in his brain, gears shifting as he kept on glancing at me every ten seconds.

But not once did he speak up, or ask me a question, giving me my much needed space.

My eyelids drooped, exhaustion dragging them halfway down but I refused to fall asleep. I was afraid of what I'd see if I did.

A small nudge startled me, and I looked up to see Raf observing me with studious eyes.

"Will you stay in the car while I go get the stuff?" He surreptitiously glanced at my forearms, and I shifted from his line of vision.

I nodded, and he stared at me intensely for a few moments, before doing the same. As he got out of the car, I watched him jog to the sidewalk till he disappeared around the corner, his phone pressed to his ear.

We were a few streets away from where I worked, a pharmacy adjacent to a bakery, and some odd shops here and there. People milled about their Sundays, oblivious to the way my life had crumbled to dust just a mere hour ago.

Surrounded by a hollow silence, I had no choice but to submerge myself in my thoughts. My fingers were fiddling everywhere, finding something to do to draw my own attention away from the dark tendrils threatening to wedge into my consciousness again.

Minutes dragged on as the silence thickened, my suffocation increasing with each passing second. The car felt claustrophobic, the hoodie strings restraining my respiration, and I tugged on them again and again to relieve the lump in my throat.