Chapter 35: Nothing

Start from the beginning

Wortham scoffed. "You've never denied me entry." He waved dismissively towards Roberts. "You may go now."

"I may yet," Nathaniel muttered. "Especially if you keep giving my servants orders." Turning his head to the butler, he added, "You may go now."

Sketching a quick bow, the butler left. Wortham sprawled in his chair, looking quite relaxed, but knowing him for as long as he had, Nathaniel could see the anger and frustration lingering in his facial expression and deep in his eyes.

"So what brings you here so late at night?" he asked casually as he closed the book and put it away on a table.

His friend straightened a little and looked about the room as if he only just realised they weren't alone. "Good evening, ladies," he said politely with a nod of his head, then turned his gaze back to Nathaniel. "You know I cannot abide my father's full attention on me. Once Gowthorpe and your family all abandoned me, I simply could not remain."

"Well, you made a valiant effort." Nathaniel chuckled. "You lasted a full day. Must be a record of sorts."

"I think I once managed two. Do you have a guest room to spare?"

"Always."

"Thank you. I suppose it makes it easier for travelling to London tomorrow as we no longer need to meet up in Bridlewood." Wortham looked over to where Angel and Jessica sat. "Not busy cuddling the new missus?"

"I have to share her with the rest of the family."

Wortham chuckled. "I'm not sure whether it's a blessing or a curse to have a large family."

"A bit of both," Nathaniel admitted wryly.

His wife and sister came over to sit with them. When his wife chose to sit on a chair close to Wortham instead of next to him on the sofa, Nathaniel knew for certain that something was wrong. He tried not to scowl as his sister sat down by his side.

Angel smiled pleasantly at his friend. "I did not expect to see you again so soon."

"Ah, but I simply could not stay away from your lovely presence." Wortham flashed one of his more devastating smiles.

When Angel blushed prettily, Nathaniel fought back a pang of what could only be jealousy. It wasn't that he thought his wife was infatuated with his friend—though most women were—but as he watched her laughing and joking with the earl, he couldn't help wishing she was giving him the attention. Maybe because he had been denied it for most of the day, but he craved her presence. Her conversation. He wanted to be the one she laughed with.

The longer Angel and Wortham kept talking, the darker his mood turned. Even Jessica—who normally avoided the rakish earl—joined in. Needing an outlet for his foul temper, Nathaniel interrupted the conversation.

"Jessica? Wasn't there something you wanted to tell Wortham?"

His sister stopped mid-sentence and turned to stare at him in horror, and he immediately regretted his rash decision. Teasing his sister was something he quite enjoyed, but embarrassing her in front of a family friend was something else entirely. He really must learn to control his temper.

Wortham's smile widened as he looked at Jessica, obviously realising it wasn't a compliment Nathaniel referred to. "What did you want to tell me, sweetheart?"

Turning back to the earl, Jessica's cheeks stained red. "I..." Her words faltered, then her shoulders straightened and, after a quelling look at Nathaniel, she addressed Wortham. "We were discussing some of your finer qualities, and I was simply remarking on your considerable charm."