10

"Maaa. Tayshaun steady showing me them stupid teletubbies knowing I'm snared of them." I yelled.

He knew I was scared of them things. I hated them.

"Tayshaun, Leave her alone." She said and I smiled.

I got up from the couch and texted Nya asking if she wanted to come over but she had said no. She's been distant lately, I'll check on her tomorrow.

"Ha Bitch." I said going upstairs to my room. I saw that Keonte was calling.

"Hello?" I asked.

"I was just making sure you good." He told me and I smiled laughing a little.

He did this every other day. It was cute. Sometimes he'd even come by and chill with me but it was on days Tayshaun and Tyrone was not here.

They were annoying and needed to leave.

They actually move out next month.

"I'm fine, are you good?" I asked. "Yes."

"Hmmm. Are you sure? I feel like you be having bad days and don't want to tell me because you feel like I don't care when I'd absolutely love to hear what makes you mad." I said softly.

He's so quiet.

"You wanna know about my day?" He asked and I nodded my head.

"Alright so I woke, do all of that morning shit. Went to go get my grandma some medicine. Played basketball a little and then came back home and ate spaghetti and fried fish." He said and I smiled.

"I like hearing you talk. Maybe I could...Umm come watch you play basketball. I wanna do something. I said and he smiled.

"Tomorrow, I'll come pick you up and you can come watch me play."

...

"Ma you a lawyer right. How do all of this and them dropping the case stuff work? And shouldn't you guys getting a restraining order be proof of something?" I asked her and she looked at me.

"They limited the restraining order because that exact reason. Somehow blood and a couple of pictures isn't enough. Some new lawyer he got convinced them." She said. I smiled.

"Ma can you be my new lawyer?" I asked and she looked at me.

"They won't allow me." She told me and I-I hated it.

My eyes started to water, "If they feel like I'm lying. Won't that mean jail time for me?" I asked. She wrapped her arms around me.

"They don't feel like your lying. They just don't have enough evidence right now. If there is anything you can think of that gives you evidence. You let me know. Ok?" She asked wiping my tears and I nodded my head.

"Ok." I said shakily. How come that's not enough evidence? It's all I have. What will I do?

"You'll be fine. I promise. Nothing will happen to you. Look at me." She told me and I looked at her.

"Layla if you think I'm just gonna let him get away with it. I'm not. I love you ok. Don't give up until you have one. I believe you." She said and I smiled.

"Thank you." I said softly. She placed her hands in my hair fixing it.

"You'll be ok. Don't stress it." She told me and I nodded my head and left out of her room.

I looked in the mirror sighing.

I'm so tired. Of everything.

My life is over. I mean I don't even have any other evidence.

So of course they'll think I'm lying.

I heard my phone ringing and it was Keonte. "Hello?" I asked wiping my tears.

"Are you crying?" He asked. "No, I'll be good. What'd you umm call me for?" I asked.

"I was just calling. Have you ate today?" He asked.

"Yes my mother cooked me Alfredo. It was good." I said.

She always cooked and everytime it was good.

I turned off my light getting under my covers.

"Are you going to sleep on me?" He asked and I smiled.

"I'm sleepy." I said softly.

"Nopeeee. Wakeeee uppppppp." He said and and I smiled.

"Whyyy?" I asked and he shook his head. "So you can't stay up for yo favorite person?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"How you even know I'm yo favorite person?" I asked.

"Cause I have never ever ever made you mad."

"And How do you know that ?" I asked.

He placed his phone on top of something started doing weird stuff with his fingers.

"I can read minds." He told me and I laughed.

"What the fuck was that?" I asked.

"Ain't that what them voodoo people be doing?"

I sighed. I can tell he's gonna keep me up.