Chapter 37

Juniper's POV

My hands shook and sweat started to form on my brow.

Chandler wouldn't be arguing with Devon, right? I mean obviously he was! But why?

Niko and Sage were eyeing me as I stood in the living room of Niko's house while holding my phone out. The thud of it hitting the floor startled me out of my daze.

My shoulders tensed before I sighed and relaxed, letting my head roll back so my eyes bore into the ceiling.

"Chloe just told me that Chandler and Devon were arguing about a deal that they made and the financial aspect of said deal... apparently," I spoke out loud so the two knew what was going on.

They glanced toward each other then back at me.

"Maybe you should talk to Chandler about this?" Niko suggested.

Sage nodded in agreement.

"He could probably clear things up," Sage added.

They both stood and took a step over to me. Sage's hand brushed free strands of my hair out of my eyes while Niko wrapped his arms around my waist. Their sweet gestures calmed me and I relaxed into Niko's chest.

"You're right," I sighed, "I need to talk to Chandler."

I picked up my phone from the floor and sent a quick text to Chandler which asked him to meet me at the ice cream parlor downtown. He immediately liked the message.

"Niko, do you mind driving me to the ice cream shop?" I turned and asked.

He shrugged but nodded.

We all collected our things and moved to the garage where Niko unlocked a white Mercedes G Wagon.

I chuckled and shook my head.

"Do you just have every single car available?" I asked him.

"Almost, just missing a Toyota Camry," Niko looked back at me and winked.

I countered with something witty then hopped into the back seat.

Sage had a grin smacked onto his face as he witnessed our playful banter.

"You two are too much." Sage laughed, closing the passenger door.

Niko hopped into the driver's seat and backed out of the previously opened garage. He made sure to close the garage before whipping out of the driveway and onto the road.

I pointed out directions from the back seat as Niko swerved through traffic. Outside of my occasional directions, we didn't talk much. The silence was somewhat comforting and gave me time to think about what I was going to say to Chandler.

Once we got to the ice cream shop, I hopped out of the car. I watched as the car drove off and once they were out of sight, my heart began to race along with my thoughts.

I had to urge my feet to take me inside and to find a table. Within five minutes, Chandler arrived. I placed my phone face down on the table and greeted him.

He flashed me a smile and sat down. I ordered us both ice cream sundaes.

"What is it that you summoned me here for?" He asked, his head tilting.

"I've heard a couple rumors-" I started but he cut me off.

"I don't know what you've heard, but it's not true," he huffed and crossed his arms.

The sundaes came out and I took a bite of mine after thanking the girl who dropped them off.

"Well, see... I saw you and Devon arguing in an empty room..." I told him.

"He wanted me to do something for him but I told him I wouldn't because he hurt you!" Chandler defended himself.

I nodded.

A sigh of relief pressed through my partially opened lips.

"Alright. That sounds legit," I chucked and scraped the back of my neck.

I really couldn't tell if he was being honest but I was trying to trust him.

We chatted about other things for the rest of the hour that we sat there. When we were done, I felt much more relieved. Chandler explained that he had something to do so I called my mom to pick me up.

Mom was way too sweet, she would do anything for me.

When we got home, I noticed an awfully familiar car sitting outside the house.

Fuck.