25

Clarke POV

When I got home, mum was waiting for me in the lounge. She didn't look very happy, and I could imagine why.

"Hi." I said weakly. She sighed, and motioned for me to sit down next to her.

"Clarke." She piched the bridge of her nose between her fingers. "You have no idea how worried I was. Your father too."

"I'm sorry, but I'm fine. We were just at the hospital because Lexa..."

"You told me." She said, lifting her head. "But how did she get bruised ribs?" I knew that the truth would scare my mother. It might make her even more protective. But I told her anyway.

"Finn." I said. "He's...kind of a friend...or he was. Umm, he likes me, and he hates Lexa because we're together. I think he has problems. He got really agressive and there was a fight and..." I trailed off.

My dad stepped into the room and smiled in relief when he saw me. I moved over so he had space to sit down.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "I heard you were at the hospital."

"Fine." I sighed as I repeated my story again. "Lexa just had bruised ribs. Can I go to bed now?" I was really late, and I wanted to wake up at a reasonable time tomorrow. Mum nodded and I quickly stood before she thought of something else to say.

I climbed the stairs and fell into my bed, not bothering to get changed. I quickly fell asleep.

*

I felt the weight of someone sitting beside me, and opened my eyes to see Lexa. She smiled when she saw that I was awake.

"Hey." I said, surprised. "How did you get in?" 

"The window." She motioned. "You didn't lock it." I looked to the window to see it unlatched. Tha dark night outside made me wonder what time it was. I looked over at my clock. Three minutes past midnight.

"What are you doing here?" I sat up, running a hand through my hair. Instead of answering me, Lexa leaned forward to kiss me.

My hand behind her head, I leant back against the wall and pulled her closer. Lexa was practically sitting on me now, but neither of us seemed to mind. One of her hands trailed down my neck, and I shivered.

Lexa suddenly sucked in a sharp breath, breaking away. Her face was twisted in pain and her hands balled into fists. 

"Lexa?" I asked, suddenly scared. "What's wrong?"

She opened her mouth to answer, but before she could, she coughed hard. When she took her hand away from her mouth, we both saw the blood. She looked at me with fear in her eyes as more blood dripped out of her mouth. 

"Clarke." She whimpered. "He won't stop."

"Who?" I took her face between my hands. "Who won't stop."

"Him." She said, before her head dropped in my hands and she fell onto my bed. I tried to catch her but she slipped through my hands. Her body stopped moving, the life leaving her eyes. I sobbed her name but she didn't respond.

A motion in the corner of my room caught my attention. I looked up to see who it was.

Finn.

He stood, standing in the corner, one hand dripping red.

*

I woke screaming, shocked out of my dream. My voice echoed loudly through the house, and I heard the click of lights and doors which mean I woke someone up. Not a minute passed before my mum came into my room rubbing her eyes.

"Clarke." She said. "Are you okay I heard..." She took in my state, lying on my bed with tears running down my face. "Oh sweetie." She sat next to me and wrapped her arms around me. I clung to her, trying to stop my sobs.

The dream had shaken me badly, and I couldn't get the image of Lexa out of my head. My breathing was getting faster and faster, tears staining my cheeks. Mum just held me for a while until they finally slowed and I was able to be still.

"What is it?" She whispered. "Tell me." I used one hand to wipe my eyes, blinking the last tears away.

"It's just...he scares me." I whimpered. "Finn. He won't leave us alone, and he's getting worse. I'm scared he's going to really hurt her."

"Is he really that bad?" Mum asked, sounding like she didn't believe me. I stared at her in disbelief.

"He bruised Lexas ribs. I think he's obsessive or something. That was my dream, where he..." I cut myself off, not wanting to say the words.

"Okay." Mum said. "If he scares you that much then I'll do something. I can't promise anything, but I'll try."

"Thank you." I whispered. Mum kissed my forehead and stood up. I glanced at the clock to see that it was just six in the morning.

"I'll go make some breakfast." She said, before leaving to go downstairs. I sat for a minute before grabbing my phone and sending Lexa a message.

Clarke: Are you okay?

I couldn't shake the feeling that Finn had hurt her more, that he was going to take it too far. I wanted to make sure that she was safe. My phone buzzed in my hand, giving me a fright. I didn't expect a reply so soon.

Lexa: I'll be fine, my ribs already feel a bit better.

I sighed in relief and was about to go downstairs when my phone buzzed again with another message from Lexa.

Lexa: Are you free tonight?

Clarke: Sure, why?

Lexa: It's a surprise, for just you and me. Just be ready by five

Clarke: Okay, I'll see you then

Slipping on the nearest jersey, I headed downstairs. Mum smiled as I came in and sat on a stool.

"Can I go out tonight?" I asked. "Lexa asked me. It won't be for long." Mum frowned.

"I don't know Clarke. What happened last night..."

"It won't be anything like that." I interrupted. "It's just me and her, no one else."

"I guess that's okay then." Mum said. "Just call me every hour, I still worry. What time?"

"Five." I said. "And I'll call you. I promise. I know you mean well."

"What does she mean well about?" Dad asked, coming in.

"Making sure I'm okay." I got up to hug him. Dad grinned and walked around the bench to kiss my mum on the cheek. I watched them, a warm feeling in my heart.

There was a sudden knock on the door.