Chapter 20: Betrayal from a Princess

Start from the beginning

_________

You and Varian were watching Quorin talk to the villagers from the window in his lab. "I have made the good king aware of our problem, and we have his blessings." He said. Everyone started cheering. Inside Varian's lab, you were both frustrated with how Quirin decided to handle things. 

"Running away isn't going to fix the problem. These rocks must be stopped. Okay, Y/N so what do we know about them?" Varian asked you while you were petting Ruddiger. "Well, they're unbreakable, they're somehow connected to the princess, and worse yet, they are growing at an exponential rate. Within a matter of months, they will have reached the castle." You said with a sigh. "Well, now, physical force has no effect on these rocks, but! They have yet to reckon with the awesome power of alchemy," he said while dramatically pulling off a sheet to show beakers filled with chemicals. 

Varian got a beaker filled with a purple-ish pink-ish liquid. Ruddiger ran out of your arms and hid under the table afraid something bad would happen. When he put the liquid on the rocks it started a mini pink fire. "Woah! Ah!" He tried to find something to put it out. Luckily you found a small towel on the ground and put it on the fire so it went out. "Varian! Y/N! Are you okay in there?" You heard Quirin yell. "Yes, Dad, yes—yes! I just dropped a book!" There was an explosion where the fire was.  "One of my-one of my big books."  

_________

"Never give up Ruddiger." You were talking to Ruddiger while Varian was making another formula. "So our last formula didn't deliver quite the reaction we'd hoped. So what? The important thing is we got a reaction." While Varian was pouring the reaction onto the rocks Quirin came in. "Son, I just want to-" He was about to say until he saw you and Varian with the rocks. "Oh. Oh." Varian was trying to hide it as best he could but it was too late. 

"Varian, Y/N, I told you to stay away from those rocks." He said. "Um, yeah, w- we know what you said but-" You started to say but he interrupted you. "Then there should be no misunderstanding. Now listen to me when I-" Varian interrupted him. "No! No, you listen to me dad. Our village is dying! You think running away from the problem is gonna fix it? No- these rocks aren't going away" "I know Varian. But there's more to them than you can possibly imagine." He said with frustration in his voice. He went to the other side of the room with his back facing you two. 

"Then why won't you tell us? Dad! I just- we deserve to know." Varian said.  Quirin started to turn around to face both of you. "I'm sorry son. You're not ready. Watch out-!" He pushed you and Varian away from the rocks. After you hit the ground you looked up and saw Quirin's arm trapped in the formula you put on the rocks. 

Varian ran to him. "Oh! Dad! Dad! Hold on, dad! Hold on- ah, I'll get you out!" Quirin used his free arm to try and push him away. "No! Both of you stay back!" "We're gonna go get help!" You said. "No Varian, Y/N! Don't!" He tried to say but it was too late. You and Varian were already out the door with your coats on.

_______

(Varian= Bold  Reader= Italics  Both= Bold+Italics)

Maybe I make things a mess And maybe you're right to have doubts in me Maybe, but nevertheless If you, for once, could just trust me Just this once, let me come through for you The way that you want me to

Let me make you proud Let me show you the best in me Let me give you a reason to believe That I can stand tall And when I return And I'm more than you dreamt I'd be Maybe then you will realize that you never actually knew me at all