Unexpected

A/N: This is another requested one! I'd like to apologize to the person who requested this one for taking so long to get back to you and write this. I don't really check my conversations, so I didn't see this until now. Nevertheless, I'm happy you gave me your request!

Key: 

GF/N: Crush's girlfriend's name

You'd had a crush on this one boy, C/N for a while. Unfortunately for you, he had a girlfriend, GF/N. You didn't really know her very well, aside from working with her a few times for group projects for school, but from what you could tell, there wasn't anything inherently problematic with her. She was actually pretty nice. It hurt to know that he had a girlfriend, but he seemed happy with her, and you weren't going to do anything to destroy their relationship. 

However, he's always been a little flirty with you, even though he did have a girlfriend, which made absolutely no sense. You wanted to flirt back, but you restrained yourself. He was in a relationship. He shouldn't really be flirting with you anyway in that case, but you actually kind of enjoyed it. 

As you walked down the hallway, you noticed a couple of flyers for the upcoming winter dance. It was on a Saturday, about two weeks from now. It was a semi-formal dance, but you didn't really mind, since you liked dressing up a little. You talked with your friends about it during the day, and after school, the three of you went dress shopping. Y/F got a short, glittery, lavender bodycon dress, which complimented her skin tone and her figure well. Y/B/F got a knee-length, off the shoulder dark green dress. The dress you picked out had a simple black bodice with a v-neckline and a light blue skirt that flared out. 

The dance came, and the three of you went together. You met up at your house before the dance to take pictures, and then Y/B/F drove to the school. You had a blast during the three hour duration of the dance. For the most part, you, Y/B/F, and Y/F stayed together, but you separated a few times in case someone had to go to the bathroom or go off to the side to fix a dress strap or a shoe. 

At school the Monday after the dance, you noticed that C/N was acting odd around you. He seemed a little quieter, perhaps a little more nervous than usual. Even his normal flirty behavior with you was off. You were a little concerned, but tried to brush it off. 

Later that day, as you were walking to your bus, you overheard a conversation between C/N and his best friend, C/B/F. 

"...so apparently Y/N likes me," you heard C/N's voice say.

You stood there in shock. How did he know? You never told him, but maybe it was your body language or the way you acted around him? Was it that obvious. 

Then you got your answer.

"Really? How'd you find out?" his best friend asked.

"One of her friends, I think it was Y/B/F, came up to me at the dance last Saturday and told me."

Your eyes widened. At one point Y/B/F had disappeared for about ten minutes. She said that she was going to the bathroom, and you thought that maybe she'd been taking a long time because there was a line, but you saw someone else head in the direction of the bathroom and come back in under five minutes. Now it made sense. She was talking to C/N and telling him that you liked him during the ten minutes she was gone. 

As days and weeks passed, you noticed that C/N's behavior was still shifting. He was becoming a lot more shy around you, and when he went to make his usual flirty remarks to you, he was nervous and stuttering, which never used to happen before. He also seemed to be growing more distant from GF/N, since you didn't see him around her as much. When you did though, it seemed tense and hesitant. 

One day at school, when you'd just barely gotten through the doors after getting off the bus, Y/F and Y/B/F came racing up to you.

"Y/N! There you are!" Y/B/F exclaimed. 

"Did you hear what happened?!" Y/F said. 

"What do you mean?" you asked, confused.

"C/N broke up with GF/N!!!" she half-shouted. 

Your eyes widened in shock. "Wait, WHAT?!"

"Yeah!" Y/B/F said. "I walked past her and her friends this morning and I overheard them talking about it. She said that they broke up last night over text. Apparently he broke up with her because he lost feelings for her."

"That's strange..." you said.

"What do you  mean?" Y/B/F asked. 

"Okay," you began. "To start off, I know you you told C/N that I liked him." You looked at Y/B/F, who suddenly became nervous. "I'm not mad, just still a little bit surprised." She relaxed.

"Anyway, the Monday after the dance, he started acting weird around me. He was so laid back and chill before, but now whenever I talk to him he seems so shy and nervous, so I wonder if there's a connection between that behavior and the breakup."

You walked around the first floor of the school and talked about it for a little longer until the bell rang and the three of you had to go to your first period classes, which were unfortunately not the same. 

Your first class was English, which you had with none other than C/N. 

You walked into the classroom and sat down in your usual seat, the middle one in the row right next to the window. 

As you waited for a few other students to arrive, C/N walked in and took the seat next to you. Even though he'd been acting strange, this was the first time he'd sat next to you in this class. Normally he sat with one of his friends a couple rows down from you. 

"Hey Y/N," he said.

"Hi," you said. 

"Hey, so uh, can you meet me at the end of the music wing after school is over? I have something that I want to tell you, but not in front of everyone."

"Sure," you said. "I'll see you there."

You turned away from each other to face the teacher at the front of the classroom. You tried to pay attention, but you couldn't get what he just asked of you out of your head. Not only in this class, but for the rest of the day.

--time skip--

The final bell rang, and everyone got up to leave and go home. You quickly made your way to the end of the music wing where C/N asked you to meet him, hoping he was already there so that you didn't miss your bus.

You spotted him standing there as you turned down the hallway, and you waved at each other.

"So, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" you asked him.

He took a second to find his words, and then spoke.

"So basically, your friend Y/B/F told me at the dance a while ago that you liked me. I thought about it for a while and basically developed feelings for you, I even broke up with my, well, now ex-girlfriend. Over that period of time, I began to develop feelings for you and realize that I think we might be meant for each other. Of course maybe not forever, but at this moment in time, I feel like we're perfect for each other, so would you maybe want to try our hand at a relationship?"

Now it all made sense in your head, and you had to restrain yourself from too intense of a reaction.

"Of course!" you said, a big grin lighting up your face.

"We should probably go before we miss our buses, but can I have your number real quick? I'll text you and say hello later so you know it's me."

"Absolutely." You quickly gave him your number and walked to your buses, which were in opposite directions.

When you got on the bus, you immediately took out your phone, went to messages, and typed a message into your group chat with Y/B/F and Y/F.

Guess what just happened?