Grandma

2023

"... to you. Happy birthday dear Connie. Happy birthday to you!"

"No, no," a voice heralded high over the crowd of eight and nine year olds, "I'm so sure you've got the song wrong."

"Joseph."

"Dad."

"I'm right, I'm right," he laughed, scooping up a little girl with blonde pigtails and a floral dress to match that of her sister's onto his hip, "ready Eleanore. 1, 2, 3... Happy birthday to you, squashed tomatoes and stew, you look like a monkey," he leaned, "gosh and you smell like one too!"

"Dad, stop it," his not so little girl had gone bright red.

"Right Connie Louise," Dianne stepped in, "you best blow these candles out before the whole cake is covered in wax."

"Well I was about to wish," she explained, "but Daddy-" she interrupted herself hoping her friends hadn't heard her slip up, "fine." She sighed, closed her eyes just for a moment or two then blew out her candles easily.

The group gathered in the kitchen cheered and soon cake was being eaten on picnic blankets in the garden, the rather rare spring sun shining down on all of them, highlighting rosy cheeks from games of tag.

"Noodles, noodles come here!"

"Don't give her any cake Con, she's already had half of Ellie's."

"Dad."

"Every time she says that," Joe whispered head dipped close to Dianne, "wham, straight through the heart."

"When she does what?" She chuckled, looking at him flopped on the floor, head in her lap, fist on his sternum.

"Says Dad."

"Instead of Daddy," she pouted, stroking his hand so she could slip hers into it and lock their fingers, "my little Joey. It's just because she's got her friends around."

"But I'm Daddy."

"No, dada," Eleanore said, plopping on his stomach.

"Exactly," Joe laughed, holding her up above his head.

"What are we doing now?"

"Up to you Doodle!"

"Why does your Dad call you Doodle?"

"I don't kn- wait it was mum that gave me it."

"I did, but don't ask me why, it just fit didn't it! Shall we do pass the parcel?"

~~~

"Ooh doodle," Joe said, entering the kitchen where Connie was sat at the tablez Dianne hugging her from behind, as she built her new lego, "more cards!"

"Ooh!" She straightened, pushing her Mum's arms off her shoulders gently.

"To Connie Happy Birthday, hopefully we can see you soon to give you your present, lots of love from Auntie Janette, Uncle Aljaž and baby Eliana."

"Add them to the list then?" Joe encouraged, taking the card off Connie, adding it to the row on the top of the aga.

"Done, next?" Dianne said, pushing another card towards her daughter, glancing at the baby monitor, smiling when she saw Ellie peacefully sleeping. She turned towards Joe and showed him with a pout.

"Who's S-an-dr-a Sanandra?"

"Let's have a look," Joe said, plucking the card from her hands.

"I got £15 from them!"