Chippy's Legacy

2025

Connie squeezed her fists as tight as she could, trying to match the effort on her Mummy's face. It was all scrunched up and red, like she had been in the sun too much. Like her own knuckles, her mum's were white but they were also squeezing Daddy's hand tightly. She was sat in the inflatable pool that she had watched her dad inflate days ago, when the pains started and fill up when her waters had gone in the shower. Her hair was scraped up into a bun, which had been tied by her dad, and she had a necklace on that had a C, E and R on. Connie knew soon enough another letter would be added,

"You're doing so well Dotty, they're crowning," Connie heard her dad encourage, as her mum's face relaxed and she flopped her head against his chest. Connie wanted to say something similar but she wasn't sure if she should so she just leaned and patted her shoulder.

"Connie," she panted, grabbing her hand tightly, "are you okay?"

"Yes, you're nearly there, Mummy."

"We are," she agreed, taking Daddy's hand again, touching her chin to her chest, her other hand reaching down to feel what was happening with the help of Laura and Lisa.

"That's the head Dianne, so if you just pant whilst we wiggle this shoulder, well done, Connie, do you want to come and look?" One of the kind ladies, Laura, Connie thought, offered, beckoning her over.

"You don't have to," Dianne said between her short shallow breaths, tucking Connie's curly hair behind her ear.

"I'll stay here."

"Okay, ready Dianne, next contraction and we'll have another little one."

Dianne let out a guttural groan and then there was a baby on her tummy, already turning pink, as it started crying almost immediately. "What is it?"

"Connie, do you want to tell us," Joe said, leaning to reach the towel that had been sat on the radiator.

Connie nodded, so excited and inspected the baby, squealing, "a boy! Mummy a boy!"

"A boy," Dianne repeated, helping Joe wipe him off, "Joseph, a boy, another."

"Hey little man, welcome to the world. Oh well done Dot, well done, what was the time?"

"Three thirty-two pm."

"What's that then," Dianne asked, looking up at the two women who had been amazing in getting their son into the world from the comfort of their home, "five hours?"

"I think so, little one didn't want to wait any longer. Do we have a name?"

Dianne twisted a little to look at Joe who was covering their newest recruit in a warm blanket and hat, "do we? I'm happy if? The one we discussed."

"Yep, I'm happy."

"Finley, Finley Richard Sugg."

"Welcome to the world Finley."

"Mummy I'm so proud of you," Connie said through tears.

"Come and touch him Doodle, he's here, he's real!" Dianne said, wiping Connie's tears, as Joe wiped hers with his knuckle.

"Hi Finn," she cooed, stroking his cheek, "I love you."

"I wonder what is nickname will be."

"Spud, he's got a very potato shaped head, I mean he's great, beautiful and everything but spud."

"I love it," Joe kissed the top of her head, a huge grin on his lips, as he looked down and the baby who was squirming slightly, "so proud of you."