▪︎ chapter thirty-eight ▪︎

THIRTY-EIGHT

THIRTY-EIGHT

hatred

_____✵_____

When the warm rays of the November sun hits my face, I squint my eyes open and let out a groan. It has been almost a month that I haven't slept soundly. My sleep and food schedule was not just messed up, it was totally wrecked. But last night, I remember falling asleep to the scent of lavender candles and thoughts of Ian rushing all over my mind.

I smile, for the first time in a really long while. Maybe he was right yesterday when he said that we both needed a distraction. But inside, we knew it wasn't just distractions --- it was way more than that.

Putting on a loose T-shirt and grey sweatpants and walk downstairs to satisfy my growling stomach.

"You're up early today, good morning!" Gabriella greets me as I enter the kitchen.

"Morning, Gaby! Where's my granola?" I ask, fishing through the fully stocked up refrigerator.

"Ah, Vanessa! I keep it in the cupboards, not in the freezer!" She chuckles and fills up a bowl of granola and almond milk for me.

"Thanks, um, Connor's still asleep?" I ask, taking a spoonful into my mouth.

"No, the boy woke up at six this morning! Can you believe? He's so excited he's going back to school on Monday. Besides, he told me he's got a notification from the school that he'll be allowed to play again!" Gabriella explains, rubbing her palms together cheerfully.

"Hey, hey, wait! When did that happen? He didn't tell me about joining the soccer team when we talked last night." I frown.

"Oh, no! He didn't know before this morning. He said he's gonna tell you as soon as he comes home after practice."

"He's out for practice? Did the doctor even give an approval on this? Oh Jesus, this boy stresses me out!" I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Relax baby! I made sure to speak to the doctor before allowing him." Gabriella gives a gentle pat on my shoulder and I nod, letting out a sigh of relief.

I pull out a chair at the dining table, lazily munching on the granola - milk. On usual days, I made sure to make toast or an avocado sandwich for breakfast but the stress was taking a toll on me so I resorted to cereal ( inspite of it being my least favorite ).

There were two text messages from Jae-Hwa, one from Stefan and the other from Ian. I was about to tap on the conversation when my eyes drifted off to the bottom of my screen.