▪︎ chapter three ▪︎

THREE

THREE

power struggle

_____✵_____

Despite Winston Preparatory having a central heating system in the winters, I was compelled by my own necessities to wear full-sleeves every time I was in public view. Given the kind of cut I was carrying quite proudly on my left arm, hospital authorities were easier to fool than the school I go to.

Unlike ninety percent of the students, Monday was my favorite weekday. I had only three classes to attend. Anatomy on first period, swimming on second and English before dispersal. Naturally, I was headed to my locker after the Assembly when Iris Eastwood blocks my way. I raise an eyebrow in question while examining her attire, a red t-shirt with the Winston logo on it and a perfectly pleated black skirt ending mid thigh. Her flaming hair was put up in a neat bun with some strands framing her pretty face.

"You are Vanessa, aren't you?" She asks, shifting weight between her long, toned legs.

"Yeah! Iris? Freshman?" I answer, keeping my usual resting bitch face.

"No, I am a Junior. Well, Mrs. Anthony wanted you to meet her before lunch break." She says in her sexy British accent.

"Oh lemme guess, you're the new Prima Ballerina this year?!" I say, beaming at her. She grins back in response.

"Mrs. Anthony wants you to have a look at the new team, and you know, give some suggestions or sort?!" She shrugs.

"Sure. See ya then!" I pat her on the shoulders before striding towards the Girls Common Room. I still had ten minutes before class started. I was wearing a navy blue sweatshirt and jeans today. And also pulling off a perfect no-makeup face. I wondered if people thought something was really wrong with me. I was the ex-Prima Ballerina, but who cares now?

"What's up with you, Vanessa? Aren't you feeling warm in here?" Audrey Greer gapes as soon as I join them.

"Come on guys, last week it was Jae and now it's you! I swear it's my choice I am wearing such clothes." I roll my eyes, taking a swig of water from my bottle, which was unfortunately still pink.

"But you can't just change your stereotype! You look like a tomboy...where's all your dresses and skirts?" Kim Jae-Hwa exclaims, she was herself wearing a yellow shirt-dress from Banana Republic.

"Can we all please stop discussing about fashion right now?! There are more important things going on in this world!" I throw my hands up in the air, and my best friends finally look defeated.

"What is it?" Audrey asks while brushing her dark curly hair, the element of beauty almost everyone in school envied.

"Ian and Iris Eastwood are the Bosses" I make air-quotes with my fingers and both the girls look confused. Of course, how would they know I had already had an encounter at my very own house?!