22- Something Strange Happened Here

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

HOW WAS IT you genuinely went about defining good and evil? The very essence of that question was peculiar. What is defined as morally right or corrupt? What—or who—was it that made those decisions? It was something Veronica pondered often. Looking out on the world—for all of its entirety—she had come to realize at a very young age just what was hidden behind the mask that everybody wore.

When those things had been exposed, and the paint had first started chipping away, it was almost abating. Part of her was relieved, knowing she wasn't alone with how she felt sometimes.

Though, when the first crack appeared, she was taken aback by the cruelty, the things she hadn't even thought of once before now laying barren and exposed right in front of her innocent eyes.

The day everything really began setting in, was the day death took the most important things from her, snatched them from her grasp before she could even plead for it to let them go.

She remembered that day vividly.

How couldn't she?

Since then, her perception on most everything had been skewed, abolished. Wandering the lonely streets at night, unaccompanied except by her ever so cruel thoughts, she often wondered if there was another life.

That, maybe, she would awake and find this all to be a dream, conceived only in her head.

Because there had to be, right? It didn't seem right humans could be created for this kind of endless suffering. And hell, she hadn't even endured the worst of it yet.

Hadn't endured the extent it could go.

However, throughout all of it, she knew those thoughts were childish fantasies made to comfort her somehow.

Now, standing in the foyer of Wayne Manor, hand clasped against her heart as she attempted to keep herself calm, Veronica knew.

There was no good. 

At least, not truly. No one was ever good, no.

There were just those who were sinful and immoral, or somewhere above and slightly better. But never moral or virtuous. Even if there might've been someone out there who was, someone who perhaps fit the definition, she didn't ever think she would come across them.

It was the lament of morality.

All of this she began to think of once again now.

Because as if it wasn't something she should be used to by now, she had been lied to. Betrayed.
Her gaze rose from the floor and met Selinas eyes then. There was a hint of remorse there, sadness etched into her frown.

"Why?" Was all that came out of Veronica's mouth, turning to look at Bruce then. "Why did you do it?"

"I didn't mean to-"