13- Buried Truths

PRESENT DAY

PRESENT DAY

A STORAGE UNIT. Veronica thought it was a rather odd place for Kory to be. But then again, she didn't know much about the woman herself, so she couldn't really say.

"Wait here." Dick instructed as he climbed out of the back seat of Fox's car and slammed the door shut behind him. He walked to where his Porsche was parked and turned to look inside the open unit.

Veronica shifted her body to look at Fox then. "All of this is so weird."

"What part do you mean?" He asked and tilted his head to meet her gaze, reply partially sarcastic.

She rolled her eyes at his tone playfully. "I mean the case, Kory, everything. None of it adds up. I don't get why the bureau wants Rachel so badly." She rested her head against her hand on the car's window ledge as she stared out the windshield. Fox nodded his head in understanding.

"Do you think they know about Rachel's abilities?" It was a theory that had been on his mind ever since they found out about the girl, but he was quite unsure about it. Veronica pondered the question for a moment.

It could be possible, although highly unlikely.

She doubted it very much. There just...there had to be another reason they wanted her. How would they even know of her powers?

"I don't think so. Maybe it has to do with her mother? But if it was, that would be CPS and the Detroit's Police Departments field, not ours. It really just makes no sense Fox," She sighed in exasperation, "I don't want to have to bring in an innocent girl. I'm stumped."

The woman had run through millions of possibilities as to why Rachel would be needed to be tracked down by the FBI. Perhaps they had some dirt on her past, or knew something about the girl she didn't yet? Something her and Fox couldn't know about?

"I'm not either," Fox admitted, "Maybe we should just stay, at least until we find out why they need her."

Veronica shook her head, "We could get suspended for that, you know this. We're supposed to find her and bring her in. And we've found her. Maybe we should just take her and go."

"You really just want to take her in instead? I know you, Ronnie. And I don't think you're thinking straight right now." Fox scoffed. His partner was not one to make rash decisions, or just chalk it up to the easiest answer. Veronica always looked at things from every angle, carefully evaluating possible answers.  He refused to let her bring in Rachel this soon.

"That's what our job is, Fox. I don't know what you want me to do."

Fox looked out the window and bit the inside of his cheek, "Just think about it. Don't make that call just yet, because I know you'll regret it later."