12- In Too Deep

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

   HER HEAD WAS POUNDING. Veronica's eyes fluttered open, the singular light hanging from the grey ceiling almost blinding her. Disoriented, she glanced around, regaining her bearings.

She could feel her feet and hands bound together by a scratchy rope, the material enough to irritate her skin. Her entire body felt as if it was on fire, and she didn't know why, where she was, or what had happened. The only thing she could remember was Dick and the rooftop before everything went dark and the only thing she was able to see was pitch black.

  A loud buzzing filled the room then. A steel door off to the corner of the small room opened. Veronica's head felt heavy, and she let it drop. Her hair fell over her eyes, concealing her view from the person which entered the place she was being held.

Every noise seemed amplified by one hundred percent, which only increased the pain in her head tenfold.

   "Veronica Parker," The voice echoed out. It was deep and gravelly. It sounded sinister.

The girl didn't reply, still far too disoriented to even utter out a single word.

"I assume you know who I am, don't you?" The voice spoke again. The face of the man appeared in front of her all of a sudden.

It was almost horrific enough to make the girl scream.

Half of his face was exposed, the skin melted and peeled away, revealing nothing but the red and bloody flesh beneath it.

Her breaths picked up speed as her heart rate accelerated.

She knew who he was now.

Air escaped in jagged breaths, and she could taste the blood in her mouth, as coppery and wrong as everything else in the moment. She didn't cower, however, and instead looked him straight in his pernicious eyes, practically daring him to taunt her once more.

  "Two-Face." She seethed out. An almost sadistic smile broke out on his face, the deformed half instead only twitching as the burned muscles strained to form a grin.

He chuckled and stood up, hands placed behind his back. "Correct. Smart girl."

  Once again Veronica just stayed quiet. Only ever looking at the man to send him a glare filled with pure animosity. He stood with confidence, so much it was borderline arrogant, and continued his speech. "You must wonder why you're here, I presume."

"Fuck. You."

  He glanced at her, and rose a brow. "Well, that reaction was only to be expected," He walked to her left, and stood in the corner as he looked at her with intrigue. He flipped his signature coin in his hand, and with each little tink it made, made everything all the more daunting. "However not very wise."