29- Ache

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

IT FELT ALMOST POETIC, in a sense.
Returning to her old family's home, for some semblance of closure before she left her new one.

Not that it was ever really a 'family' to begin with.

Veronica placed the motorbike helmet over her head, hand placed on the visor as she looked longingly back at once was, what could have been. The plastic was cold underneath her fingers, breeze gentle but with a slight chill.

Her hair fluttered slightly with the wind.

She would remember this. Frame the picture in her head. It was the day she made the decision to change her life for the better.

She flipped the visor down, put the keys in the ignition and let the bike roar to life underneath her.

Then, she took off.

—x—

She was sure Selina would be wondering where she had went. She knew the second she stepped foot inside Wayne Manor for what may as well be the last time, she would be bombarded with questions.

Or maybe not.

Maybe, they truly just didn't care, and expected her to come get her shit and go. Maybe they weren't even home. Maybe, maybe, maybe. There was hundreds of possible scenarios, but the latter would be...preferable. It would definitely make it easier.

The gates of the Manor creaked open as she arrived, and she slowed to a crawl as she pulled up to the grand entrance door.

She took a look at the place.

It's appearance suited what awaited inside quite well. Grim, dread filled, void of any and all feeling of acceptance or family.

Void of any feeling of love.

Or maybe that wasn't the best way to put it.

It held all of that, but it disappeared as quick as it came. Much like how Bruce used to be filled with joy and happiness, with love and compassion, but all that vanished the second his parents lives had.

The patterns were repeated through Dick, she'd found.

It wasn't like she wasn't guilty either. Both her and Selina were.

It was akin to putting two puzzle pieces from different jigsaws together, and it would never be able to make a comprehensive picture.