Chapter 14: Paige

Liam and I spent almost every second together for the past two days. I learned a lot about him. His flirty side. His love of dirty jokes. His sensitive side. I was scared. He easily broke through walls that I built to push him away. It was getting harder to imagine what life would be like without him. I was currently sitting on the couch with his head resting on my lap. I ran my hands through his hair.

I was leaving soon to visit my mother. Liam had somehow convinced me to stay another hour. This was why we were watching an animal documentary. It was about meerkats. They were such cute creatures but the things they did were unspeakably horrific. Liam couldn't stop laughing at me as I covered my eyes when a meerkat ate its baby. "Sweetheart, it's nature." He says, gently rubbing his warm hand on my thigh. I shook my head at his poor argument. "Would you ever eat your own pups?" I asked, feeling instant regret as I mentioned pups. Liam sat up and pulled me onto his lap so that I was straddling him. "Our pups, Sweetheart. You are my future baby mama." He says, making me wrinkle my nose at his words.

"Really? Baby mama?" I said the discussion on meerkats was clearly longer on our minds. My wolf was screaming at me to hump Liam. "What would you prefer? Babycakes? Love? Darling? Honey? Wifey?" He asks, looking devilishly at me. I hold back laughter when he suggests babycakes. "I think I have a nickname for you," I said, an idea coming to my mind. Liam's eyes light up and I giggled. "Chubby Bubby," I said. Liam's eyes narrow and he grabs my hips to pull me close to him. He pulls off his shirt. "Look at this!" He says, pointing at his eight pack.

Without warning, Hope takes over. She grinds down on Liam. I take back control. I jump off his lap, my face burning. I grab my bag and leave to visit my mother. I leave Liam looking stunned with lust swarming in his eyes. HOPE! I facepalm myself. She whines as we walk towards WMC. Keep your horny self away from Liam. Why? Did you see the way he looked at our butt when we left him? Hope says, looking disappointed. It was hard to keep my emotions at bay. Liam drew out emotions that I never felt before.

But I knew that this was temporary. I plaster a smile onto my face as I entered the building. I walked into the room to see my mother looking out the window. "PAIGE!" She greets me, with excitement. I walk over and give my mother a hug. "How are you?" I asked, gently. She pats the space on the bed beside her. "Take a seat! I have so much to tell you." She says. I take a seat beside her. "Paige, I met several nice wolves. Everyone is so nice here." She starts, her eyes darting around the room.

"I guess. I will leave the room to give you some space." The assistant carer says, with a kind smile. I give her a smile of gratitude. I felt so relieved that my mother was settling in well. The door shuts and suddenly, my mother grips my wrist tightly. "Paige, when am I leaving?" She asks, her tone hushed. "Mom, you can't leave." I said, feeling a lump in my throat. She places her hands on my shoulders. "Please take me home." She begs, my heart lurches at the sight of my mother's distress.

"Mom, I can't take good care of you. Here, there are people who understand you." I said, pleading with her to understand. Her eyes darken. "WHY? YOU LEAVE ME HERE. YOUR MOTHER?! LISTEN HERE, PUP. TAKE ME HOME!" She screams, shaking me. I look at her but her eyes are too dark. "Mom, please calm down. Listen to me, please." I said, try to keep my voice from shaking. She sniffs me suddenly. Then she laughs. A shrill sound that makes me tremble in fright. "You found your mate, didn't you?" She sneered, her grip loosening. I slip out of her grasp and move away from her. "You stink of him, whoever he is. You came to rub it in, didn't you?" She says, raising her voice.

I gasp in pain as her claws puncture my right arm. The door flings open and my mother is pulled away from me. The assistant carer wraps her arm around my shoulders. I turn to see my mother's livid face as the staff holds her down. "ENJOY YOUR MATE!" She shrieks, as I leave the room. As soon as I leave, my wound is bandaged and Dr. Louis gives me a look of concern. "We apologize. No one should have to go through that." He says, gently. I nodded. I took a deep breath.

"Perhaps, we'll have visits with glass between the two of you." Dr. Louis suggests. I nodded. All I wanted to do was leave. After discussing alternative methods of visiting, I make my way back to the packhouse. Before I can open the door, it opens to reveal Chase. "How was the visit?" He asks as I enter. I give him a weak smile. "Good," I said, walking away. I get a whiff of Liam coming around the corridor. I dash upstairs into Ryder's bedroom. I lock myself in the bathroom. I sit down on the cold floor. I was a horrible daughter. Who leaves their mother like that?

Tears are streaming down my face. I hold back sobs as I knew that Liam was coming. My mother was right. I was so selfish. I hurt her. I shuddered as I recalled the cold look in her eyes. I hear knocks on the bathroom door. I hold my breath, hoping he would leave. "Sweetheart???" Calls Liam from the other side, with panic.

I didn't want him to see me. Not like this.