35 - betrayal

Third person's pov:

"Ariana?" Liam repeated, trying to remember where he heard this name.

"Who is she?" Mr. Payne asked.

"I believe she's Evelyn's high school friend?" The female officer confirmed, looking at Evelyn who was shocked and lost. This was a shock to Evelyn. Her own friend betrayed her. What could be worse than that?

"Evelyn?" Liam said, touching her shoulder, bringing her back to earth. Evelyn nodded slowly as a tear slipped down her cheeks.

"But why?" Liam further asked,"Did you get her?"

"We did." Both officers replied in unison.

"Here's what she said." The male officer continued, picking up a recorder and clicked the play button.

"Let's start. Why did you force Mr. Anthony?" The recorder started.

"I didn't force him!" The voice of Ariana protested.

"You're lying." Female officer said,"The culprit clearly told us your name."

"But he approved with me on this." Ariana fought.

"Explain." The female officer demanded.

"It started when Evelyn's brother, Liam got into x-factor. That's when she got to our school. She was a new student and everybody knew her brother." Ariana started,"And that's when she started destroying my life!"

"Destroying your life?" The female officer asked.

"the day she stepped into my life, she turned it upside down. Everybody started favouring her, just because her brother got into x-factor! And when he got in the band, everybody got crazy. They started giving every opportunities to her when she didn't even deserve it!" Ariana spats with so much venom and hate in her tone.

"And how did you get Anthony in your mess?" The female officer inquired.

"He's my cousin." Ariana explained,"I knew that he was with Evelyn. And the day he fought with her, I visited him and I saw him exchanging drugs with a drug dealer. I blackmailed him that I'll inform his parents. He begged me to keep it a secret. That's when I told him that he'll have to do something for me."

"And what was that?"

"I forced him to stay with her even when he was going to break up with her. He got a video of her and started blackmailing her. The money she gave, we distributed it between us and the mental torcher she was going through gave me pleasure."

"What type of a friend are you?!" The female officer screeched, not believing her ears.

"That's what she did! She got the scholarship I was dying for. She's well settled now and look at me, I'm still roaming around, begging people to give me a chance."

"You're such an idiot." The female officer said,"She got the chance because she truly deserves it. Her hard work and talent got her where she is, not her brother."

The recorder stopped and there was a pin drop silence. Removing the awkward silence, the female officer cleared her throat,"We've got the statement we needed. That's all we need. You can leave now. If we need anything, we'll call you again."

"Thank you." Mr. Payne choked out, getting up on his feet. Liam too got up on his feet but Evelyn didn't. She was hurt, backstabbed by her very own friend.

"Evie?" Liam softly said, keeping his hand on her shoulder,"Let's go."

He helped her getting up, then followed his father out of the door. Quickly getting in the car, they drove back to Evelyn's flat.

"What happened?" Mrs. Payne burst with questions as soon as the door opened. Everybody got up on their feet and looked at Evelyn who didn't show any movement.

She got straight to her room and locked the door.

"Evie?" Liam called, banging on the door,"Evie? Open the door."

"Leave her alone for a few minutes." Mr. Payne advised as Liam nodded.

"Will someone tell me what's going on?" Mrs. Payne frowned. Sighing, Liam explained everybody what they heard today.

"What a bitch." Zayn muttered, under his breath.

"It's all my fault." Liam sniffed.

"It's not Liam." Doniya spoke up,"I can understand how Evelyn felt all this time. It happened with me too but she easily gave up."

"yes Liam, don't blame yourself." Ruth said, rubbing his back.

"Evelyn are you okay?" Zayn asked, knocking on the door,"Evelyn?"

"I.... am.. Okay." Evelyn choked out while lying on her bed and crying her eyes out.
Nobody spoke anything and soon the boys left except Liam, followed by Nicola and Ruth.

Evelyn wiped her tears for the thousandth time as more made their ways down. She heard her phone ringing but was too numb to pick it up. When the ringing didn't stop, she got up from her bed and walked over to the table where her phone was lying. She looked at the caller id and declined the phone. She wasn't ready to answer anyone, even if it's zayn.

Evelyn pick up the phone, Zayn messaged her when she declined her call.

Having no other choice, Evelyn picked up the phone and tucked it under her ear.
"Evelyn? Are you okay?"

Evelyn tried pushing the words out but nothing came out. She just hummed, holding back her tears.

"I'm so sorry that you had to go through it." He further said, his voice as much soft as possible.

"I-It's not... y-your fault." Evelyn choked out, her voice hoarse from all the crying,"I-I am. fine."

"Are you sure?" He further inquired.

"I just n-need some t-time." Evelyn sniffed.

"Okay take care." Zayn said.

"I love you." He said the last words softly, thinking that Evelyn might have not heard it when she did. 

But she didn't say anything and hung up.

She didn't know what to do next.