Chapter 4: Hughes

I walked towards Eastern Command, and continued on to the office. As I approached the door I could hear arguing, or was it just talking. I decided to see for myself, so I slowly opened the door. There was man with black hair and a small thread that stuck up, he also had green eyes and a small stubble. He turned towards the door and stared at me, then he rushed over to me in the blink of an eye.

"Mustang, who is this beautiful girl you've got here." The man said as soon as he laid eyes on me.

"This is Lieutenant Redfield, she's the newest member of my team, and a state alchemist as well." Mustang said cooly, then I locked eyes with him, which made me nervous.

"Wow, well you don't see that everyday." The man added.

"Redfield, this is Lieutenant Colonel Hughes." The Colonel said, I shook hands with the man.

"Please, it's just Hughes, Roy is always so formal, sometimes you gotta loosen up a bit." Hughes said smiling, he reached out and gave Mustang a nudge on the shoulder.

"Roy, what a cute first name, I guess it just felt weird hearing it." I thought to myself quickly, but Hughes soon came and bombarded me with more questions.

"Lieutenant, you never told me your first name." Hughes said smiling, the Colonel also showed some interest in this as well.

"It's just Luna." I muttered quietly.

"That's a beautiful name, isn't is Colonel." Hughes said, and he gave Mustang a smirk.

"But not as pretty as my little Elicia." Hughes said yet again, he waved around a picture of his daughter and showed her off proudly.

"Aww, she's adorable." I said looking at the photo.

"Alright Hughes you should get going." The Colonel said, he was pushing him out the door now.

"Sorry about him, he's can be such a handful sometimes." Mustang said as he dusted his hands off. He headed back to his desk and began working again.

I had an arrand to run, so I waved goodbye and headed for the other office. I could hear whispering from all over. Then someone approached me.

"Lieutenant, there's a nasty rumor going around." An officer said.

"What do you mean." I said in confusion. What was this guy talking about?

"Word on the street is that there's a monster in our ranks. They're saying that she isn't even human." The officer continued.

"I don't know what your talking about." I said trying to play dumb, it was all that I could say to avoid suspicion.

"They say that she transferred recently, and that she's got brown hair and a cute face...

You fit the description perfectly." The officer said. 

What was he saying, had someone found out, was this envy, had I done something wrong? I wasn't thinking, I had to get out of there, so I ran. I ran and ran, and didn't dare look back. i had bumped into someone, but I continued, and rushed into a closet.

I could feel tears falling down my cheek. I guess it was better to cry along though, instead of embarrassing myself.

"Come on, stay strong soldier." I said to myself as I leaned my head back against the wall.

"Lieutenant Redfield, are you in there." A familiar voice said, it was the Colonel's.

I remained silent and tried to stop my crying, but his presence was making my emotions stronger for some reason.

The door opened, and the Colonel saw me.

"Are you alright?" He asked sincerely.

"Yeah, it's nothing." I said, I was pushing down my emotions like always.

"it's certainly not nothing if it made you cry." Mustang said, he was sitting beside me now, and he was staring at me with those dark eyes of his.

"A soldier shouldn't cry." I said wiping my tears away, I tried to put on a brave face.

"Who told you that?" Mustang asked confusedly.

"Just an old friend." I said, I wiped my tears and stood back up.

I headed back before Mustang, I was much more on edge now, and the rumors were making things even more difficult.

The day had finished, so I decided to go to the bar. There was so much going on, and I just needed a night to myself. I drank myself silly, and headed back to my room. Luckily I ran into Hughes, and he helped me get back home.

"You don't look so well Luna." Hughes said, he had a smile on his face.

"I'm perfectly fine." I said, I was laughing a lot.

Hughes helped me up the stairs, and placed me on the couch. 

"Hughes, there's something you need to know." I said, I was still so drunk.

I transformed into the chimera form, but it somehow brought me back to my sense's. I changed back and sunk to my knees. Hughes looked very surprised, but not as much as the Elric's.

"Luna, what was that." Hughes said, he helped me up.

I sat down across from him, and told him everything that I could. I made sure to leave out the sensitive information about the Fuhrer and the homonculi. Hughes also talked a little, he mentioned that he was noticing many strange things, and he was on to something very big.

I also mentioned the rumors, and about Mustang as well.

"Luna, do you have feelings for the Colonel." Hughes asked, he had a smirk on his face.

"I-, he, uh he's just my commanding officer." I said nervously, I tried not to blush.

"Yeah sure." Hughes said, he smiled but it faded.

"Luna, I promise to take your secret with me to the grave. But it would be better off if you ended up telling the Colonel one of these days." Hughes added, he sounded much more serious. I nodded and felt this drop in my stomach, the thought of telling Mustang was so scary and frightening.

"Also I'll try to end this nasty rumor that's been going around. You've got enough on your plate, you shouldn't have to worry about a stupid thing like that." He said, and he headed for the exit.

Once he left I slammed my face into a pillow. Yet another person had found out, and it was the Colonel's best friend this time. If Mustang were to find out, then I wouldn't even know what to do. He would treat me differently, and he wouldn't be as nice. 

Why should I care about a small thing like that? I guess I just liked how kind he was the other day, and how sincere and understanding he can be.

That night I dreamt about the Colonel, but it was more of a nightmare than a dream. In this dream he had found out about my secret and threw me out into the streets. 

"Your a hideous monster, there's no place for you here, chimera." Mustang said, his face was so terrifying. He shoved me to the ground, and dragged me to the exit, everyone was staring at me, but they looked sad. I woke up in tears. it was just a dream, but it felt so real. I wondered what the Colonel would do if he had actually found out.

 I couldn't really sleep at all after that, the thought of the Colonel kept me up. I was unsure as to how I felt about him. Was I actually in love, or as my mind just playing tricks on me.