35

Tonight it is as if my dreams are drawn in light upon the starry-black sky

Tonight it is as if my dreams are drawn in light upon the starry-black sky. Blossoms of rainbow colours fill the sky, but even when the sparks fall back to Earth, the remnants of glitter stay among the stars, blending in with the beautiful artwork that is the night. 

I turn over on my side, looking at Rachel who is still transfixed on the firework display.

It is extremely dark, but her face is lit up in awe and wonder. The moonlight seems to bring out her pale skin, absolutely flawless, not a single blemish in sight. With every gust of wind that hits her face, her hair flows to one side like a curtain being pulled back, wisps of hair dancing on her cheeks. She squeezes my hand, turning to the side for a split second, flashing a smile, and turning back once again. 

I look at her, the curve of her nose, her smile, her amethyst eyes gazing upwards and I wonder how she cannot find the beauty in herself. I see it in every part of her. With all her graces and her imperfections, her hopes and her inhibitions. I can see the beauty in every scar she hates, every curve she is ashamed of.  Rachel is a perfect example of perfect asymmetry. 

She looks back at me again. 

''You are so perfect, you know that?'' She laughs. Rachel pauses for a few seconds, and I can see her formulating a response. What she says next shocks me. She really has come far. 

''No one is perfect.'' She stops, a smile flickering across her lips. ''Anyone who says they are is deluding themselves. I know myself better than anyone, and I know my imperfections. I may not like them, but I've come to accept they're a part of who I am. I have still got a long way to go, but I am slowly understanding I wouldn't be me without them. What I think is an imperfection could be perfection to someone else. Not being perfect isn't a curse, it isn't an issue, and it's certainly not something to critique and pick at. It's simply a sign I'm just as human as everyone else.''

My mouth drops open. I regain myself and say, ''I really have made an imprint on you, haven't I?'' 

Her laughter is so free and pure, so childish, almost like a giggle. I grin at her. She sits up, and so do I, taking both of her hands in my own. 

''Garfield, there are a few things I want to say.'' Rachel has clearly been thinking about this for a while. ''I want to thank you for all you have done. My first — my first thank you is for helping me learn to love myself. I know I haven't been easy to help. I close off and hate opening up and telling people my worries and troubles — and I just want to say thank you for persisting with me. Thank you for caring and not giving up. I am so grateful.'' 

''No need to thank me, Rachel —'' she places a single finger to my lips. I grin.

''I also want to say thank you for just talking with me. Taking the time to really talk to me. And understand what goes on inside my head. And getting to know me. Most people dismiss me without a second thought, but you — you really tried to see past my cold attitude, and I really thank you for that.'' 

It starts to rain. Rachel looks up for a moment and then returns her gaze on me. She likes the rain. I know she does. 

''I can't wait to spend these next two years with you. And hopefully beyond that. Thank you for finding me when I felt so lost. I know I have still got a long way to go, but I am already halfway there. And that's all down to you —'' 

''Rachel, you really did this on your own. I simply got you started. Don't forget that.'' I allow her to continue. She smiles.

''I feel so at home with you. When my mother died, I felt so alone, so isolated even from Kori. I was afraid I would never find someone who makes me feel like I belong. And now I have found you.'' 

The one drop of rain turns to millions, cascading from the night sky. It is the sort of weather that brings the best out of everything and everyone. The rain brings a richness to each hue. Rachel's hair darkens to a deep brown, her eyes alive with joy. I raise up my hand, tilt my face toward the sky, feeling water and cold air but also the happiness coming from Rachel, at us being together. 

I look back at her.

The rain runs down our faces to where our lips meet, each of us tasting the cold drops. I kiss the droplets from her lips, and I feel her smile against mine. Rachel then sinks into my arms. She buries her face in my shoulder curve, just before leaning back again. 

She opens her lips ever so slightly.

''Thank you for finding me when I couldn't find myself.'' 

And that is the moment I know I will make sure she knows just how beautiful she is, every single day. 

OMG I FINISHED IT WHAT HOW OMG!! Wow

OMG I FINISHED IT WHAT HOW OMG!! Wow. Thank you so much guys for reading this far. I hope this book taught you some very valuable things. I hope it made you laugh, cry, smile & know that you are absolutely gorgeous in every way possible. Thank you for voting and commenting! Your support is golden. I hope you continue to read my books :)) I am going to be taking a break from bbrae, and focus on a couple of originals. My latest book is ''Letter to You'', a book of letters to my ex lol, beware of the feels! If you check that out thank you so much <33  I am glad to officially announce this book is now completed :))

 My latest book is ''Letter to You'', a book of letters to my ex lol, beware of the feels! If you check that out thank you so much <33  I am glad to officially announce this book is now completed :))

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔 ❪ 𝘣𝘣𝘳𝘢𝘦 ❫ 🎉