14

''Don't worry, Rachel

''Don't worry, Rachel. I know that you find it difficult to make new friends at the moment, but Jeanette and Karen will make you feel so welcome!'' Kori says, squeezing my hand reassuringly. 

''Okay, Kori,'' I reply, walking down the street to the coffee shop with her, where she agreed to meet Jeanette and Karen. 

Soon we reach the place, and through the window, I can see two girls deep in conversation, one with a bright pink pixie cut, wearing a black leather jacket over some ripped dark jeans, who I guess is Jeanette. The other girl has skin as deep and rich as mahogany wood, and a pair of chocolate eyes. She is wearing a yellow jumper, making her stand out from everyone else in the coffee shop. 

Kori pushes open the door, and we enter. She instantly waves at the two girls, going over to them, pulling me along. 

The girl I presume is Jeanette stands up to greet me. ''You must be Rachel,'' her eyes survey my body, making me feel slightly intimidated by her. ''I'm Jean. Nice to meet you.'' She gives me a sort of fake smile. 

''Yep, that's me. Nice to meet you too,'' I give her a lopsided grin back. The other girl doesn't stand but stays seated. I slide into a free seat. 

''I'm Karen.'' Her smile is much more friendly, but I can sense her curious eyes studying me as if I'm a sort of project.  

''So, Rachel, what drink do you want?'' Kori asks before I can say anything. 

''Herbal tea, like always.'' I place some money in her hands. ''Thanks.'' 

I keep my eyes focused on the red can of soda that Jeanette has in front of her.

''So, Rachel, what do you study?'' It's Karen speaking. I look up to meet her eyes and I curse myself for being so nervous and scared. I guess it's just because these girls look so intimidating and I'm not the best at socialising with new people. 

''Journalism. What about you?'' I finally respond, straightening out in the chair, sitting up. 

''Law. Jeanette's studying graphics.'' 

''Okay,'' I say, looking back to see Kori almost at the front of the queue. 

''How do you know Kori?'' Jeanette says, eyeing me suspiciously. I don't know what's up with her, but she seems really irritated. 

''We've been friends since ⁠pre-school.'' 

''That's lucky, isn't it?'' Jeanette observes her nails, painted a jet black. 

''What?'' 

''I said, 'That's lucky' because you've ended up together at the same university.''

''Oh right. Yeah, I guess so.''

''And, I'm guessing you live in the same dorm?''

''Yes.'' Her questions seem slightly invasive, even though they are just ordinary queries.