18

The plastic bag that I'm holding brushes against my hip as I make my way towards the rooftop garden: the location of our last meetup before everyone goes to visit their families for Christmas

Kori is leaving tomorrow morning, as well as the other dorm members. Today was my last class. 

I open the door, the cold winter wind slapping my face as I make my way over to the group, sitting around on benches, the paved floor, or leaning against the handrail. There are other people also up here, none who I recognise. 

''Hey Rachel!'' says Kori, her voice causing the others to look up to greet me. 

Garfield has an expression on his face that I can't describe. His mouth is downturned in a frown, but when he sees me he forces a smile on his face.''Hi, Rach.'' 

I wave back at him and greet everyone else. I stand next to Kori, as the group returns to their past state, talking about New Years, and how fast everything has gone. 

''Did you bring the presents?'' Kori whispers, her eyes looking at the plastic bag leaning on my leg. 

''Yep.'' I grab it and give it to her. 

''Guys?'' Kori gets their attention. ''Should we exchange gifts now?'' Two dimples appear on her cheeks as they all reveal wrapped presents from a group of bags in the corner.

Responses of ''yes'' and ''sure'' ring out as Kori pulls me closer to the group. I take out the first wrapped gift in the plastic bag, with Richard's name caringly written in Kori's handwriting, and signed with both of our names.  

''Thank you,'' he responds, giving Kori a kiss on the cheek and hugging me. ''I appreciate it.'' 

''You can only open it on Christmas day, remember?'' 

''Of course Kori.'' He smiles at her, an action very rare, as he is usually serious most of the time. 

Kori grabs the next gift and passes it over to Victor, who can blatantly see it's a basketball past the wrapping paper. 

''Thank you so much!'' A full-throated laugh escapes his lips. ''It's great you wrapped it, it really gives off the idea of a surprise!'' He high fives Kori and I. 

One present is left, the present for Garfield. He looks up to meet my eyes, holding a present wrapped with typical Christmas paper, similar to the one I have. 

He scratches his neck nervously. ''Well, Merry Christmas, Rach.'' He passes the gift to me. ''I hope you have a good time with your family.'' 

''I'm — uh — I'm not going.''

''Oh?'' He raises an eyebrow. 

''I'm staying here,'' I reply, looking down at my gift in my hands. ''Thank you by the way.'' A smile plays on my lips. ''Here's yours.'' 

Garfield takes it gratefully. ''Thank you very much.'' He pauses, looking down at the note with his name cursively written in my handwriting. ''I'm also staying here.'' He looks relieved, happy that he won't have to stay alone during the holiday.

''You are?'' 

He nods, eyes sparkling in the moonlight. 

Oof

Oof. Sorry for the short chapter, I wasn't really sure what else to write about to be honest lmaoo. Hope you enjoyed anyway. Love you guys! Stay safe.

 Love you guys! Stay safe