9

My phone vibrates next to the book I'm reading in the library

I came to the library straight after my second and last lecture of the day, needing to relax in a silent place, a place capable of trapping my thoughts, at least temporarily, through the concentration of reading a book. 

I'm interrupted again by the vibration of my phone.

I pick it up, observing the time: 4:28 pm. I went to the library just after one. I've been here much longer than I think. Kori's message appears on the screen. 

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Kori

Hey, Rachel. I'm heading back to the dorm now.

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

My eyes flit over the message, not really focusing on the words.

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Kori

Where are you?

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

I sigh, closing my book, and placing it in my backpack. Luckily I don't need to make any contact with the librarian since this is my own book I bought from home.

I reluctantly answer her.

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

You

I'm in the library. I'm going to the dorm now. See you there.

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

I call the elevator, hearing a ping as I look up again, the doors wide open for me to enter. I press the button to floor six, soon facing the red door of my dorm. I fish my keys out of my pocket, opening the door, to see Kori lying on the couch, her eyes darting to me as she hears me enter. 

''Hey!'' She smiles, running her hands through her long red hair, sitting up, as I dump my backpack on the floor. 

''Where's everyone else?'' I ask, sitting beside her. 

''Not sure, but I sent a message on the group chat.'' 

''Okay.'' Our phone's vibrate in unison. ''That's probably them.'' 

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Garfield

Getting pizza with Vic. What do you want?  

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

Kori types back and her message pops up on my phone for me to see.