ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13: Replacement

Where is lava?- Sapnap is on a Donkey.

- GeorgeNotFound.

Fresh moonlight grows above, illuminating perfect spheres of water upon its fine green wands. With fading clouds, the chilly night already feels as if it has a touch of magic, as if anything may happen.

Which in this worlds case is always true.

The walk ahead is midnight under the cloud, yet beyond is the dusk. Even though our eyes may only see one step at a time, we stride on, eyes wide and giggling at the approaching monsters that once kept us in such fear. For this expedition for enderpearls, it was far easier to scavenge than to mine.

We started our walk by following the open spaces through the woods. The ground was smooth under our shoes, the light of the rising moon filtered by the tree foliage on each side of the trail.

I held tightly onto the corner of Sapnap's shirt as he lead me through the dark woods. Screwing Sapnap's shirt tighter into my hand I flip up George's glasses to rest atop of my head so I could actually see ahead of me.

We had finally reached a clearing in the forest. The trees trunks were sombre brown with sable cracks following the bark. No mobs to be seen, other than several stray sheep nearby, picking at the grass peacefully.

Why did Dream have to leave me with the two boys that carry on like and old married couple? Even given just a script of their conversation, with no context or voices, you would know they were boys.

"George, can you move? You're blocking the view." Sapnap squeezed George's shoulders and he shoves him aside.

"I am the view!"

Yet from the dialogue that followed it was clear that no offence had been taken, quite the contrary. They enjoyed the banter, the witty and not-so-witty put-downs. They teased and jibbed one moment and discussed team strategy the next, taking one another seriously and giving well thought responses. "Dream should have at least three pearls by now. We could find some Enderman before we even reach him."

But the sensible talk could never last too long, like it was scheduled by an egg timer. Soon the hilarity would start all over again.

A loud barking travelled through the woods, from nowhere comes a wolf appears before us; playful and quick, galloping over the blocks towards the random sheep standing off beside us.

I really wanted to see if we could tame mobs, I had the sudden urge to have another companion with me, "Sapnap."

"Yeah?" He hums boredly, picking up the wool and raw mutton the wolf had left behind.

"Do you have any bones?" I smiled and wandered over to George who was calming zoned out, staring at the wolf.

The wolf was exceptionally pleased with himself. He jumped around attacking the panicked sheep.

"Yeah, I do. Why? You want to grow more trees?" Sapnap chuckled, tossing me eight bones.

"No, Sapnap. I want to tame the wolf!" I took his bones and marched off to where the wolf was supposed to be, but wasn't. George was missing too. "George?"

At the call of his name George emerges from behind a tree, "Yeah?"

"Where's the wolf?" I question, peering over his shoulder and checking either side of of him.

George gives me a puzzled look and points to a random tree, "Pretty sure it went somewhere over there."

I exhale and rush off in the direction George suggested, not noting my whereabouts like I usually do. Taking random lefts and rights following the deepened sounds of a wolf's bark, further and further away from Sapnap and George's eyes.