ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 10: Heatstroke

He's shooting at me George! Owah, help me...

- Sapnap.

In a wasteland of red, red and oh, is that- more red? Damn.

There was nothing for our minds to hang onto. There was no familiar sight, no sound other than the soft cracking of fire we passed by and the crying ghasts; which I could entirely relate to. I mean if I had to live in this heat for any longer, I'd be crying soon too.

Only the hearts beating in our chests stopped us from becoming as burnt up as the landscape. When I whirled around to at least see the tracks we had made, there were none. The only way to navigate was by familiarity. Tree placements and areas that looked somewhat the same from memory and we'd walk circles around the same biome for hours.

"We're lost. Admit it, Sapnap." George rolls his eyes and drags his feet beside me.

"Lost? As in 'where the hell are we?'" I'm not sure if he was serious or taking a joke out of our situation but, Sapnap couldn't bring himself to admit what was already obvious. "We're not totally lost. We're still in the Nether."

"Wow, really? You said this was a shortcut." Dream speaks up for the first time in awhile, he was clearly drained and the areas of his exposed face were tinted a soft, sunburnt pink.

Sapnap sarcastically smiled, "It's a shortcut! Look how fast we got lost!" Drawing out the syllables and suddenly slowing down behind our group to a stop, his attention falling to the ground.

George notices first and backs up to where Sapnap stood, "What are you doing?"

Without looking back up he exaggerates his arms in front of him and cuts the air, snapping at George. "Can you be quiet?! I'm trying to think."

"Don't worry. Doing anything for the first time is difficult." George scoffed with a shadowed laugh behind his comment.

In this heat I'm barely able to formulate a thought. So Sapnap is doing much better than myself, but I'd never tell him that. Since there is no cooling breeze or cloud to block the heated sky. I curl my fingers around the thin fabric of my top, waving it in and out to create just a little air flow, but it's not enough. Like an ice cube into hot soup, I continue to watch George and Sapnap bicker.

Pulling his head up, Sapnap turns to exchange glances between us, "Okay, look. I don't want to place blame here, but basically... I was responsible for everything that went right and George was responsible for everything that went wrong."

"What? I did nothing."

"Exactly. Thanks for the help, Gogy."

。゚•┈୨☁୧┈•゚。

A heavy silence settled over us, thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere.

Dream side steps towards me, brushing against my arm he leans down to drop his head on my shoulder. Arms hanging numbly on either side of my body and his legs bent slightly to match my height, he looked uncomfortable but it's better than the red, chalk-like blocks beneath our feet.

I huff and pick at the dirty blond tuffs of hair that stuck out beneath his hood, "What about the coords from earlier? That could at least lead us closer to the portal."

Sapnap looks up to face me, his face practically glowing with remembrance, "Lemme check." He lifts up the chat box and scrolls past the achievements, "Minus fifty six and sixty seven."

-56 67

George starts walking off in a different direction, "The coords are this way!" He turned to the three of us, excitement tugged at the corners of his lips.

I roll my shoulder several times to wake Dream up, "I thought you weren't tired?"

He mumbles something that not even he himself could translate and pushes off my shoulder, fixing his posture by straightening his back up right. With a laugh and a few trips from his ankles he wanders at a steadily pace behind our small group.

"Dream's pretty scary." Sapnap leans in to whisper to George.

I quietly listen in, lifting my foot out and attempting to trip George over for the third time in a row and just like the other attempts he simply steps over my foot and continues walking and talking to Sapnap.

"He's not really..." George replies nonchalantly with a shrug of his shoulders and I take that as my chance to flick my foot out in front of me again to trip George over but he was walking in time so perfectly that he simply just stepped over my foot once more and continued to walk on.

I huff an exasperated sigh and run around to Sapnap, I wander a little further ahead and position my leg out in front of his walking line, flicking up my heel and waiting patiently.

"And that smile... it strikes fear into children-" His foot hooked over mine perfectly and he found himself falling face first into the red pixels.

Thinking quickly he pushed his arms out in front of him onto the ground and his muscles flexed to support his body from the sudden impact, "Seriously? I'm going to get you, Y/u/n."

He held himself above the ground with a breathy laugh and heaved himself back up onto his feet to brush himself down. I ran up ahead of the boys laughing uncontrollably with a skip and hop in my step, running around and kicking the red chalk towards them, with a swift swing of my leg I caused a swirling red blur of dust at them.

They tiredly lifted their hands up to protect their vision. I watched Dream do the same and I cup my hand over my mouth, to hide my laughter, "You have a mask, Dream."

I felt the heat rise to my cheeks as all three looked in my direction, almost in sync, the sleep loss visible on their faces but struggling to disguise their grins and I snapped my head away, knowing that if I continued to stare it'd be weird.

I could feel their eyes still on me and I silently inhaled, oblivious to Sapnap racing up towards me to kick the red dust onto me, "How do you like that, huh?!"

I laugh and race around behind George. "Save me, Gogy!"

He turns to give me a salty look, "Since you called me Gogy. I'm siding with Sapnap." And he too starts kicking the dust at me. I stood still and let the red dust rolled low over me with a small cough, still laughing with my hand fanning the dust away from my face.

Dream walked past us with an evil cackle and kicked up his own fair share of dust at the three of us and lifted his hand up to shade his eyes to peer across the broken waste of velvet desert. "There's the portal. We did it! We made it!"

The familiar outlines of the obsidian portal were hazed by a deep mist of red and for a moment I raised a hand to my face to see from Dream's perspective. There is was. Our exit back.

。゚•┈୨☁୧┈•゚。

Together we raced towards the portal, we ran as if it would vanish if we didn't get there fast enough. Our tired legs made it to our entrance and exit, the purples hues swirled and we wandered in rubbing my shoulders with George's huddling together as we awaited the teleportation process.

My vision is blacked out and I could no longer feel their presence beside me.

It was quick and suddenly I could walk out, my eyes meeting the three boys who stood patiently waiting outside the portal.

It was strange, being here again after so long. Despite how long we'd been away, realising how much I had missed the saturation and variety of the different colours that made up the world.

I walked up to the three boys, dragging my heels and I tiredly pulled them into a tight group hug.

"We made it."

How am I meant to help?! You're the one that towered all the way up! Sapnap, you went up without my consent.

- GeorgeNotFound.