ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14: The Darkside

We're kind of like spooning. Think about it.

- Sapnap.

The sky is a blue-grey brindle with the softest accents of white, like every other day. The tedious atmosphere remained still as my new furry companion and I decided to make ourselves useful by mining any loose ore blocks sat outside the mountain edge.

It's sad to think that I've already grown bored of the environment, although my memory can't compare my old perspective on the world. My thoughts already running with plans and impatience as the boys take their time on their venture to my whereabouts.

I come to the conclusion that we may be losing hearts with every death, which isn't a good start for George. I entertain the dog with some treats, whilst I eat some food for myself, but before I could take another bite the calm winds are suddenly interrupted by incoming footsteps.

"No! George is gonna kill me!" A loud cry followed by a flash of green stumbles past me, tripping over blocks in his run. His eyes focused behind him and his breathing heavy and forced.

The pursuer came bounding after, a mocking cackle hitting the wind. "Come here, Dream. Dream, come here!" I could count the seconds of time between their distance as George breezed right past me. "Come on, Dream. It's only fair." I heard George's shouts hush the further away he chased.

I could do nothing but gape and shout, cupping my hands over my mouth to call out after them, "what the hell guys? Ferals!"

It was quiet enough for me to hear their long distanced shrieks and wails continue rather humorously, like a staged comedy skit. "Dream, come on. You're the most experienced one here. Be the sacrifice!" George's shouts sounded out as he pushed Dream further away.

The green blob and the blue blob were jumping around each other and falling backwards with each hit, going back and forth with lava buckets and arrows. Before George pulled out his sword out and hopped closer, jumping around landing his damage to Dream who fled away with a quiet buzz.

Dream begins blocking his way up to the trees to parkour away; with George following his actions not far behind. The pair jumped across and left my vision for mere seconds. I couldn't see them but I could hear their unidentifiable squeaks and squawks

Running around in circles like a dog chasing his tail, until Dream meets his demise after messing up a jump, falling behind closer to George's swinging sword. Dream goes still flashed red and fell horizontally, spilling all his experience balls and items from his inventory onto the grass below.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Dream was slain by GeorgeNotFound
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It's all fun and games, but if George is testing what I think he's testing, he could just be lowering our chances of leaving.

Sapnap comes bounding along to the crime scene, from the same direction the murderous pair had appeared from only just moments ago. "What happened to those two?" He asks crouching down to pat my dog.

On reflex I pull the dog into my arms and away from his reaching hand. I scrunch up my face and assume a protective hold over the unnamed dog. "What was that for? I'm not gonna kill it."

"You have the energy of someone who'd kill animals without mercy." I grumble relaxing my hold on the dog and allowing Sapnap to finally pat the poor dog.

Sapnap continues his rough but meaningful pets to the dogs head, "he looks like he'd cause more chaos than me." He chuckles at his observation and shines his eyes up to me to look me directly in the eyes.

Chaos. I roll the word around in my mind, "well that's his name, so you better watch out!" I snickered looking back to the ball of pixelated fluff and ruffling Chaos' ears.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
Dream was slain by GeorgeNotFound

<Dream> What the hell george??

<GeorgeNotFound> what? you'll last the longest

<Dream> what are you talking about

<Dream> send coords

<Dream> NOW
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

I ignore the two and wait for one of them, specifically George to confirm. Shaking his head, Sapnap gets to his feet and looks over to the crime scene had began and ended in the distant hills, "what happened to those two?"

I sigh and mull over the theory in my mind and gaze out at the clear scene that has captured Sapnap's attention. The hills standing sentry and the surrounding animals have calmed down, resuming their boring and uneventful lives of being programed resources.

"I think the number of hearts we have is a representation of our life inside the game, once their gone we probably die here." I too stand up and wander over to Sapnap to stand shoulder to shoulder with him and exchange warmth. "Kinda like a cat, I guess. But instead of nine lives we have ten."

Sapnap doesn't respond with his words, but instead reaches towards my hand and holds my cold hands into his own, giving it a comforting squeeze. His hands are soft, warm and real. From his palm to his fingertips, I can sense his genuine and thoughtful nature.

I notice we share physical touch a lot, not just Sapnap but all of us. It's like we're reassuring each other that we're real and we're in this together and we'll look after and protect one another, whilst still finding enjoyment in our time here as best we can, because we have no clue what's on the other side.

My new friends aren't perfect, nor neat and tidy... my friends are those with enough love in their hearts to fight for and defend one another. Although they come with frayed edges and scratches, what counts is that they still hold a steady rhythm of hopeful hearts.

We're making each other stronger and the worst thing you can be is a coward. For the coward will sacrifice anything to save the physical self, even at the price of emotional death.

I need to stay alive, be healthy, but stay on the road with a determination that will take death over failure. Have the spirit of a child, yet the nobility of a true warrior, always protective and careful.

No, you're just trying to make fan service.

- Dream.