Chapter 5.1

Sabrina found Scotty and Haaron already at ease with each other, as Scotty read a screen with Haaron's service record on it and asked for the stories behind the facts. Haaron had overcome his initial reticence and lost himself in telling war stories, which Scotty listened to with enthusiasm.

"Trading horror stories, guys?" Sabrina asked as she came in.

"Nah, these are great, Rina! Haaron's done a little bit of everything, from flying fighters to commanding squadrons to bodyguarding princesses."

"Great. At least one of us'll know what we're doing."

Haaron said, "I am sure you know what you are doing."

Sabrina laughed. "Well, maybe. I must be doing something right, because Mr. High and Mighty just apologized to me."

"Tirq? Wow," Scotty said.

"I came in to see if you wanted my help with your report," Sabrina said.

"Oh, that," Scotty said. "Yeah, sure, I guess. You were there; why don't you write it, and I'll just clean it up."

"Now look, I'm not your secretary," Sabrina said with a smile.

He grinned. "Executive assistant, not secretary, Rina."

"Executive assistant. Maybe I could live with that. But being unpaid's kind of a bummer."

"Sorry, but I don't even know if I'm gettin' paid," Scotty laughed. "I got a sneaky suspicion Rayland thinks we're doin' this gig for the honor of it."

"I am sure you are drawing a salary," Haaron said. "It will no doubt be accruing on Praxatillus in your absence, as while you are with the princess you will hardly need money."

"So far we haven't," Sabrina agreed.

"But if she is to be your assistant," Haaron continued, "she will need to be trained in basic combat."

Scotty and Sabrina looked at each other and laughed. Haaron waited until they finished and said, "She should be so trained in any case if she is to serve the princess. She will be the last line of defense against anyone who can get past you, myself, and the Tirqwin."

"That'd be one hell of a nasty somethin'," Scotty grinned.

Sabrina looked thoughtful. "I wouldn't mind learning some self-defense, and enough to defend Mara if I had to. Although Mara's the last person on this ship who needs a defender, if you ask me. She can just shield herself or blip out."

"But even the Guardian can be knocked unconscious or otherwise immobilized," Haaron said. "Do me the honor of allowing me to be your instructor, my lady."

Sabrina grinned. "Well, okay. Although Tirqwin's not going to be thrilled about it."

"It'll keep us out of his hair," Scotty said. "Well, go on, write that report."

"With what?"

"Oh. Good question."

"She can dictate, and her words will appear on the screen," Haaron said, pressing a button. The screen cleared.

______________

Half an hour later, the report was finished, and the three were already friends. Sabrina had dictated her version, Scotty had added a few unnecessary (in her view) details, and Haaron had made some tactful suggestions as to the form and proper mode of address. Sabrina had deliberately played up Khediva's role, hoping to soften the Ship's attitude, which had the secondary benefit of putting Haaron more at ease aboard something he had always been taught to consider a deadly enemy. Scotty and Sabrina accompanied their new friend to his quarters and began helping him unpack, deciding where to stash all the weapons.