Chapter Fourteen

"Where you at?" August voice boomed through my car speakers.

"Why August?" I asked back in a calm yet dull tone.

"Now isn't the time. I'm pulling up to your place, meet me there," He said barking out orders.

I didn't know who he thought he was talking in such a bossy and demanding tone, but I smirked, liking it. I wasn't about to admit that to him nor was I about to give in to his demand. I had things to do before I headed to work.

"I'm headed to the store, I need some groceries," I responded.

He mumbled something under his breath and hung up.

I laughed but knew I was going to hear an earful when he got to me. He didn't even ask what store I was going to.

I pulled into the parking lot and grabbed my duffle bag for work and got ready to place it in the trunk.

"What's that?" August asked, walking up.

I naturally jumped startled.

"Damn, can you announce yourself before walking up on me like that," I said clutching my heart.

"No, I can't do anything if you're about to have me playing where's Waldo to find yo ass," he responded in a nonchalant tone.

I closed my trunk then asked, "Why you looking for me anyway?"

"Chris found out about your lil adventure with T-Money and some went down. He was gone send Reggie to detail yo ass. It's just a safety measure."

I noticed August cursed a lot when he's annoyed or irritated.

"Who made you mad?" I asked as we walked through the parking lot.

"It's not even important."

I rolled my eyes, "So, that still doesn't mean you can't say something. You're clearly bothered," I said as we walked inside.

I grabbed a cart.

"You irritate me," he said slyly.

"Maybe, I like getting a reaction out of you," I said hitting him back with his own words.

He returned my words right back to me, "I didn't think you cared that much," he said in a high pitch tone, attempting to mock me.

I laughed, "I don't sound like that and two, I really don't care about irritating you. I didn't do anything to you. Why did you tell Chris about money?" I asked to switch the subject as I stopped at the first aisle.

"It wasn't me, your lil friend mentioned it trying to get stupid."

I rolled my eyes finding that out. I just didn't understand why niggas thought it was some honor to say I talked to them. I also didn't understand why they felt the need to speak on it to Chris knowing damn well he's crazy. Then again, maybe I'm the foolish one thinking the shit is genuine in the first place. It was growing real apparent to me, these niggas don't really give a fuck. I'm the crazy one for thinking otherwise.

"What he say to him?" I asked.

He was quiet for a few seconds, "Just bragged about how he took you out and-," he said but stopped.

I looked up at him, "What else?"

"That's it, what else happened?" He asked with his tone lightening up.

"Why did you say it like that?"

"You choose dusty ass niggas. Now what else happened?" He questioned firmly.