Chapter Nine

November quickly fell into December. The weather dropped fast. It was chilly in the morning, but freezing at night. It was currently snowing. Louis watched the snowflakes fall slowly onto the pavement.

Louis was walking to the bakery, his hands in his pockets to keep his hands warm. He held his cheek. Scott slapped him before he left for work.

Louis sniffed. He forgot to cover up the bruise with makeup. Hopefully nobody noticed.

He hopped inside the store, so happy to finally be inside. Louis took his hands out of his pockets and gave Harry a winning smile.

"Hi, Harry," Louis said happily. "How are you?"

"Hi, Lou," Harry said with a smile, waving. "I'm doing good. How about you?"

"I — I'm doing good," Louis stuttered. He wasn't doing good at all, but he wasn't going to tell Harry that.

Harry of course noticed and frowned. Little did Louis know, Harry could read him like an open book. It was amazing because they only known each other for a short while.

Louis stayed until Harry was ready to close the shop. Louis helped him clean the counters, not realizing he was very late. That's when the door opened roughly, the bell ringing foreboding.

It was Scott. He came in and was evidently angry. He scanned the room to find Louis. He was tall and frightening, his face contorting into an evil glare. His hands were clenching and unclenching. Louis knew he was ready to punch anything in his way.

"There you are!" Scott barked. "What are you still doing here?"

"Scott..." Louis mumbled fearfully. "I — I just stay here sometimes because I have n-nothing else to do. I didn't check the time. I'm sorry."

"And who is this?" Scott growled, pointing at Harry. "What are you doing talking to my boyfriend?"

"This is Harry," Louis said shakily and flinched at Scott's sudden movement. Scott grabbed his wrist. "He's my friend."

Scott squeezed his wrist really tight until Louis opened his mouth with a cry.

Harry stepped forward and broke them apart, shielding Louis. "Leave him alone."

Scott scoffed. "And who are you to tell me what to do in my relationship? Who gave you the right?"

Harry then saw the yellowish bruise on Louis' cheek and the imprint of a hand. That sent him off the edge immediately.

Harry took Louis by the hand and said with fury, "The fact that he's got a bruise on his check. Any decent human being should intervene. I think he's gonna stay with me tonight."

"The hell he is!" Scott hollowed and tried yanking Louis back, but missed. Louis squealed in the process.

Harry stood up tall, stepping closer, so he was now nose to nose with Scott, using the extra inches to his advantage.

"I'd love to see you stop me," Harry said slow and deadly. He never dropped eye contact.

Louis could see the lump in Scott's throat, and knew he was intimidated. Scott glared at Harry, and then walked straight out the door. Louis was very shocked. That's the first time in his life he's seen Scott scared.

Harry smiled in relief and pride. He touched Louis lightly on the shoulder.

"You okay?" Harry asked gently.

Louis nodded, smiling slightly.

"Thank you for standing up for me..." Louis said shyly.

"Always," Harry smiled. "Now, c'mon. I want to show you my place."