Not Quite Right

It was summertime, and the bright weather had apparently motivated the rich households of the area to organize one ball after the other. So Mrs Whitman had been quite stressed about finding new dresses for her daughters to wear, and it was decided that the whole family would go on a shopping trip in town.

The two men, Felix and Irvin, one of the twins, went their separate ways once they reached the shopping district, and were not seen until the departure. The group of ladies went straight to the nearest dressmaking store and spent a good hour trying to decide what colors they would choose. Joan set her sights on a pretty powder pink silky material that made her fair skin even more remarkable. Lily wanted to go for her usual turquoise/green but was convinced by the vendor that something of a warmer tone would suit her really well.

After a full morning of expenses, the group stopped by a tea house to replenish their energy. They ordered a platter of pastries and sandwiches along with juices.

At some point, Joan noticed something at the corner of her eye; she turned her face and saw none other than William Crowley in front of her, on the other side of the street. A wide smile appeared on Joan's face and she suddenly stood up from her chair.

"I need to go somewhere really quick! I'll be back in a few!" she said before rushing out of the building.

Lily quickly noticed the young man too and rapidly gathered where her foster sister was going.

"What on earth?" Mrs Whitman quizzed with frown before going back to eating her biscuit.

"I should maybe go with her," Lily blurted out. She got up and followed the tracks of her sibling, or rather the traces of William, who discreetly followed the blond-haired girl.

The young couple led Lily to an unfrequented back alley, where she found them embracing each other and quite visibly kissing. She blushed at the sight and gasped. The sound caught the attention of Joan, who opened her eyes and peeked sideways. Her eyes locked with Lily's, who did not have time to hide. A small grin appeared at the corners of Joan's lips as she gripped harder on Crowley's coat. The young man encircled her waist and brought her closer. Their kiss seemed to grow deeper, and Lily felt something stir in the pit of her stomach.

She swirled around and sprint away, back to the tea house.

"Back so soon?" Mrs Whitman asked, confused.

"Y-yes! I could not find her."

Joan came back a while later, smiling from ear to ear. Her face was visibly flushed, but it apparently eluded her mother, who just pressed her daughters to move along to the next store. Lily avoided Joan's knowing stares and tried her best to hide her disarray.

***

The whole family returned to Ombersley later that afternoon, their carriage full of packages. They quickly unpacked and went to dinner almost right away.

The atmosphere between Lily and Joan was quite awkward, and the latter grew impatient at the younger girl's avoidance. So after they climbed up in their bedroom, Joan just sat at the edge of their bed and stared at Lily as this one started to take off her dress. Joan crossed her arms over her chest. "Are you going to avoid me until the end of time?"

Lily jumped, not expecting a conversation so soon. She tilted her head a bit, not turning around.

"N-not at all, I just... do not feel like talking right now."

"Oh? So we are not going to talk about the fact that I kissed William Crowley in a back alley?" Joan bluntly asked.

Lily stopped her motion completely and shut her eyes. She did not want to hear that word. It only brought the memory of the one she and Joan shared a few days prior. And she did not want to remember it. Or think about her and Crowley. Lily did not respond and just resumed her undressing. The creaking sound of the bed rose in the room, and Lily could feel Joan standing behind her.