Chapter 18

"Kageyama!?" 

We both jumped and quickly stood up as Takeda-sensei came in followed by Coach Ukai,

"Y-Yes?" Kageyama asked hesitantly, a drop of sweat beading on his forehead.

"Kageyama there's- there's been some bad news..." Gone was Takeda-sensei's usual calm and cheerful demeanour, it had been replaced by something indescribable,
Fear? Horror? Sadness?

Kageyama stiffened and I felt a shiver run down my back,

"W-What is it..?" The tremble was evident in his voice.

"I..." Takeda-sensei glanced at the Coach who just looked away, his face dark.

"....Follow us" They both turned and hurried out of the gym, Kageyama hesitated than quickly followed with me behind him.

With every step I could feel my stomach clench more and more,

Eventually we reached the school gate and turned the corner, the sight that greeted us was shocking to say the least.

There where police officers and paramedics rushing around near the closest ally,
nothing could be seen over the group of officers who where blocking any nearby people to see what exactly had happened in the alley but I felt my skin prickle.

I knew what was in that alley.

I knew exactly what was in that alley.

We reached the group and Coach Ukai walked up to a officer who was obviously in charge,

He whispered a few things and the officer nodded and was about to reply when-

"NO! NOT MY SON! NOO!"

Kageyama's face went white, he had recognised the women's voice.

He stumbled foreword on stiff shaky legs and pushed past the officer, I quickly followed.

The once dark alley was lit up and cordoned off,

A women was sitting on the ground sobbing and crying, a officer seemed to be trying to get her to leave but she was refusing.

As we got closer I could see a little girl clutching her mother's arm and staring blankly at nothing.

"Ma'am it would be better for you to leave, this is a crime scene- Oh, are you Kageyama Tobio..?
The officer looked up as Kageyama came over, her face solem.

Kageyama just nodded slowly, "..Tobio?"
The woman turned around and Kageyama flinched, "Mrs Katachi..? W-What are you doing here?"

I swallowed, this was Wrens mother and obviously the little girl was his sister.

"Oh Tobio...I- My baby... your boyfriend! He- he's-" tears filled her eyes again and she broke down into incoherent sobbing.

"W-Wren..? What about Wren-...." his words trailed off as he took a step foreword and saw the box.

A tiny bit of a finger could just be seen peeking out from the bloody cordoned box.

"Ah." I jumped as Kageyama suddenly collapsed to his knees,

A shudder rippled his body, followed by another until he was shaking like a leaf.

"T-This is a joke right? That's not Wren. You're joking, you're joking..." he went still as the officer looked away with a slight shake of her head and a whispered "I'm very sorry for your loss."

"Uh...uhh.. Ahhhhh!!!" Kageyama folded  forward with a muffled cry, clutching his head as racking sobs shook his entire body.

The officer quickly stood up and called for some backup before they managed to drag both Kageyama and the other two away from the box and the out of the alley where they sat them in the back of a ambulance.

Throughout the entire thing I had just stood there, face blank, saying nothing even when Kageyama had collapsed.

This was all of course, a act. I was acting like I was in complete shock and horror when really I was feeling angry. How did they find the body?! I made sure that I had hidden it well!!

I clenched my fist slightly in an attempt to stop the mask from slipping when a nurse came around to the vehicle with blankets and cups.

"Here.. your all in shock, this will help.."
She wrapped the blankets around their shoulders, tried to give them the cups but got no response so she turned to me and handed me one and a blanket.

"Thanks..." I said hollowly, voice deadpan. The nurse gave me a frightened look before leaving. I sniffed the warm drink before looking over at Kageyama.

His face was blank with the occasional tear dripping down, but the part that made me shudder the most was his eyes. They where glazed and focused on nothing, I swallowed painfully.

I hated seeing him like this. It made me want to hug him, comfort him, kiss him- I shook myself, not the time brain!

I jumped as someone tapped me on the shoulder, "I would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind." The cop asked, I nodded slowly.

"Perfect," he took out a notebook, "What is you're relationship with Kageyama Tobio?" I fiddled with the cup, "I'm his friend," the cop nodded and jotted something in the notebook, "And what is your name," I chewed my lip slightly, "Hinata Shōyo."

More writing, "Did you know Katachi Wren?"

"Not much, I only met him a few weeks ago."

"Mhm, where you aware of their relationship?"

"....I only found out today."

"Would you consider yourself a friend of Katachi Wren?"

I paused, mulling that over,
"Not really a friend but more of.. aquatintists?"

"Right, and did you ever walk home with Katachi Wren?"

*that's a pretty direct question.* I blinked, "No, I almost always stay late because of-"

"That's not true." A crackly voice said from behind me and I jumped,

I turned around to see a short old guy with white wild looking hair and eagle like eyes. "That's not true," he repeated.

The officer looked confused, "Sir, what do you mea-"

"I saw this boy following the other one out of the school around 2 days ago..!"

Well shit.