[.𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏.]

ganymede : chapter 1

"i'm going to put it nicely, miss l/n," your teacher, mizaki sensei, said, rubbing his nose bridge. his glasses slipped down his face, but he didn't take notice. 

"you're hopeless. your grades are slipping by the second, your past five quiz scores were all lower than 50%, and your average grade is a d-minus. it's been this way for, what, the whole year?" 

you gripped the end of your shirt, tugging it down as a matter of habit. outside of the window, you could make kids walking home after a tired day of school and afterschool activities. you wished that you could be with your friends right now, ice cream in hand as you guys talked about your day and walked home in the setting sun, caressed by the cooling afternoon winds of miyagi and spotting the faint moon amongst the overwhelming sunset. 

"miss l/n, i think it's time for you to get a tutor," mizaki sensei carried on, not paying attention to your longing gazes out to the window. you could see the volleyball boys heading home, sweaty and tired from practice. you didn't hear what your teacher was saying, all you could hear was static as stress built up in your head. 

"miss l/n? did you hear me?"

"oh, sorry. could you please repeat that?" you mumbled, your voice barely audible. 

"i'm going to assign a tutor to help you after school. ideally, you guys would meet on mondays, wednesdays and fridays, and he'll meet you in the library at 3:30. i'll contact him, and send you the details tonight," mizaki sensei finished, setting his glasses on the table. "you're free to go now. have a good day."

without another word, you grabbed your bag and hurried out. 

you set on your course for home, eyes focused up on the sky as another matter of habit. every step felt like another burden that piled on your shoulders as you walked, though. a tutor? lowering grades? what would your parents say about this? what if your tutor was mean? or if you were too dumb to even be helped by a tutor? so many factors played into it - so many factors that you never thought you'd have to consider in your high school years. 

"hey! y/n!" a familiar voice called out. you turned around to see a member of the girl's volleyball team (and your best friend), yua hasebe. a big smile was stretched across her pretty face, her hair tied up into a messy ponytail. 

"oh, hi yua," you greeted. 

"hey! why do you look so sad, hm? and why're you going home so late? don't tell me you joined a club without telling me! i always said you should join volleyball-" yua rambled, spinning her spare volleyball in her hands as she talked. 

"i had to stay after school to talk with mizaki sensei," you cut her off before she could run you over with her words. 

"eh? why, what's wrong? are you having trouble? because i could totally tutor you and you know it," yua grinned, giving you a two-handed thumbs-up, the ball tucked under her arms. you couldn't help but laugh a little at the sight of your silly friend. 

"yeah, i know. my grades are bad, basically, so mizaki's signing me up for a tutoring program. i wish you could tutor me, though, but i think the program's random," you explained. yua put a finger to her chin, humming quietly to herself. 

"mm, i heard of the program. i wanted to be in it, but then i'd have to sacrifice volleyball, and i'd rather not. but, i know a few people who might be doing it. tell me what days you need to do it?" yua asked, undoing her ponytail and letting her red hair run down her back. 

"monday, wednesday and friday."

"oh. well, all of my friends teach on thursdays or tuesdays. also, how bad are your grades if you need to be tutored three times a week? i thought you used to be smart," yua joked, poking your side playfully. 

"that was middle school," you said, sighing and swatting her hand away. "something happened when i entered high school. maybe i lost a few braincells."

"maybe maybe. i wouldn't put it against you, dummy," yua teased, before releasing a loud laugh. you tried to tune her out - she could never take anything seriously, and sometimes she was a bit of a nuisance. especially now. 

"i'm going home. see you tomorrow," you said, walking past her and taking the road home. 

"oh - see ya, y/n!" yua yelled, waving energetically before heading home as well. 

the breeze that you were hoping for was no longer in the air - the moon's looming presence replaced the cool feeling of the afternoon. you passed by stray alleycats and your neighbors' houses, counting the house numbers until you reached your own. 

as you headed to open the front door, your backpack buzzed with a notification from your phone. without needing to check it, you knew right away that it was the email from mizaki, containing all of the tutoring information you'd need for who-knows-how-long. 

grimacing, you entered the house in a gloomy mood. 

---

that night, after dinner, you had cooped yourself up in your room to view the email. 

dear miss l/n,

i've found you a tutor from the karasuno tutoring program. his name is tsukishima kei, and he's willing to do mondays, wednesdays and fridays. i've linked his contact information - please get in touch with him soon. 

have a good night,

mizaki tokudo

you huffed, rolling your eyes and shutting your phone off for the night. 

you shut off the lights, gazing out of the window as an effort to forget about your stressful grades for a bit. small speckled stars lined the dark sky, filling what seemed like an empty universe with life. you loved the stars, and the moon especially. such a strong, bold presence in the sky, lighting up the nighttime with its love. 

you loved the moon. it was so strong - a god of power and love who shown hope all throughout the sky. it was the showstopping number of the galaxy, the true star up there - well, at least in your opinion. you admired the moon every night; how could something be so hidden but so bright at the same time? it was outshined every night by its fellow stars, but somehow... it stood out so much. 

but enough about the moon. it was time to get your grades up, not your love for the moon. 

---

a/n : sjsjs this was my first go at writing a fanfic (if you dont count my shitty danganronpa imagines). i hope you enjoyed the first chapter !! hopefully it gets more,, fun later iykyk LMAO okok bye ily all