Chapter 5

Nine point Eight

Chapter 5

The cloudy sky keeps Tyler accompanied as he lies on the cold-thick snow. Then those crystal flakes fall beside him, hoping that it would make him change his mind. But it's useless. He has pretty much given up on everything, hasn't he? And if the snow could freeze his memories, make it disappear, and then be it. He's tired from all these things. Everything that he has done is just another regret; he shouldn't have told Hannah not to give up on life. He was too naive to see all these things.

Then a shadow shades him up, forcing him to open his heavy eyelids. There she stands, a girl that he regretted a moment and a lifetime ago. Hannah Lawther. Now he knows why her name suits her perfectly. Lawther for laughter. And she's just as fragile as flower.

A bit smile came across her face, truly glad that she's found what she was looking for. "I sneaked out again, don't you feel cold down here?" Then she falls to the white snow, lying next to him.

He turned his eyes to her, looking at the girl he yearned for the last few years. He wanted to have her so much, but he couldn't. Death took them apart. "You had already knew me from the start, haven't you?"

The girl strokes her hands together, avoiding the cold that starts to climb out her hands "Yeah. But why you still helped me?" She turned to Tyler, waiting for him to answer.

"I don't know." He exhaled before staring at his own reflection on her pair blue eyes, "I guess I just want to see you alive, not just breathing."

She smiles a bit "You said you haven't got all the pieces of your memories, haven't you?"

"Yes?"

"I'll show you." She reached Tyler's hand slowly, then holds on to the hand she had always find it warm "Tonight."

Tyler's deep brown eyes gazed at the girl beside him. He almost sure that he could sees his own reflection at her clear glassy eyes. What on earth does he really wish for? Her? Or to end all of this pain? He has only got two choices and he needs to choose either one of them. It hurts every time he remembers that they can't be truly together.

"Hannah Lawther..," he let his heart took control of his body, just keep going on with the flow, "I think I'm in love with you."

***

Hannah Lawther blinks her eyes several times, afraid that she might be overheard something she only imagines in her dreams. What did he just say? Gripping on her red scarf, she has just realized that she already tearing up.

"Why are you crying now?" Tyler wiped off her tears gently and his hand stopped on her flushed cheeks.

She reached Tyler's hand on her cheeks and pulls it closer to her, embracing the warmth of his hand. He doesn't know, the truth is he doesn't need to know. That the world didn't let them to fall in love once again. He didn't deserve all this pain, neither her.

"You can't. You can't be in love with me," she sobbed, wishing that he would figure out how much she wanted to say yes and then they will have a happy ending. But this is not a fairytale. Here comes the cruel world, where you need to choose a way.

"Why can't I?" He asked even though he already knew that one absolute answer, which is so hard to accept.

Hannah slid down his hand and holds it with both of her hands, trying not fall further in her feelings. But without her knowing it, she has already falling endlessly. Just keep falling through the gravity that pulls her so hard that she couldn't even had a chance to say something.

Tyler Haynes holds back her small hands in his, this hands had already saved him countless of time. Maybe now it's his turn to save her from falling to the darkness. He shut his eyes and took them to a memorable flower field. Where all the flowers bloom so beautifully just like how she smiles back then. Yes, it's her memory.

A refreshing wind welcomed them as Hannah notice that her surroundings had changed. She quickly realized the familiar field and struggles so desperately to let go her hand from Tyler's.

"Stay still," he whispered softly as he tucked a flower to her hair. "Why are you so beautiful?"

They let the time goes on for a while just by looking into each other, treasuring the countdown that started to runs out. Both wishes for clock to stop its hand but it will never be. He needs her as much as she needs him. Saying goodbye it's just so hard to do. Maybe not now, but soon, they will be saying farewell.

Why can't they have a happy ending like others? Why the world didn't let them to? And for the last, why do they keep fighting for each other? For something that will never be true, for something that will only ends with a nine point eight?

"Save the goodbyes for later," he landed a kiss on her forehead, "All we've got is now. Why don't we enjoy it together?"

***

Not one of them knew why suddenly Tyler can be seen by other people, but that's not the point. Just keep smiling until the time runs out.

"Come on Tyler! We need to try that!" Hannah Lawther dragged Tyler excitedly to a waffle stand among these crowded Christmas celebration. She order two waffles happily and handed over one to Tyler "Go on! Try it! You won't ever regret it!"

He took a bite under her splendent enthusiastic eyes, "Mm-m it's delicious."

Tyler's eyes were on her face as she bites her strawberry-topped waffle "What is there something..?"

He poked her cheeks teasingly with a vanilla cream, "Got cha'!" His bright smile brought them again to the happiest time they had ever known, what they thought wouldn't be happening again. But this is world, no one can ever tell what will it brings to you next.

Just keep cherishing what they had.

"You cheated! It's my turn now!" She tucked the pink strawberry cream to her finger and tries to spill it on his face, but instead he tucked it back to her face. He laughs out seeing her face is in a mess now, but still, she looks cute though.

"It's not fair!"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," he pleaded sorry while he still laughing to cry "Shall we try the cotton candy now?"

She take a look at the fluffy-looking cotton candies over the candy stand. They look like pink and peppermint clouds. And before she could ask for them, a huge peppermint cloud already popped out in front of her.

"Here." Tyler smiles captivatingly again as she bites the cotton candy. She's just like a small kid with a huge candy on her hand. Alright, alright, she is cute. And sweet. And beautiful at the same time. She's his everything.

Stay the same, Hannah Lawther.

***

Dave Stanford's eyes were following Hannah's movement between these crowded street. She's smiling. And that's Tyler Haynes smiling beside her. He sighs, and a bit sad smile spread across his face.

"You know, your time is approaching Tyler Haynes."

They are running out of time.

Then a phone call startled him, he took out the phone from his inside-coat-pocket and answer it, "Yes? This is Dave-"

"What?" his eyes widened in shock "His condition suddenly worsen? But how-?"

Then the voice over the phone cuts his words, "I'm afraid he can't hold on to face tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG I'm so happy that this story becomes an undiscovered in short story! Thank you so much for those who's been reading this! I really really appreciate any kind of support! Once again, thank you and keep waiting for the next update!